Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default big Gunneras

May be a bit late this year, but I have "gardening rights" on a sizeable bit
of damp ground in North Yorkshire just crying out for something spectacular
and I thought G. manicata would fit the bill. But I couldn't find any! Does
anyone know where I might find this plant for sale in North Yorkshire, Tyne
& Wear or Teesside?

Alternatively, I can buy seeds on line. Is it difficult to raise from seed?

Duncan

Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 May, 22:55, "Duncan" wrote:
May be a bit late this year, but I have "gardening rights" on a sizeable bit
of damp ground in North Yorkshire just crying out for something spectacular
and I thought G. manicata would fit the bill. But I couldn't find any! Does
anyone know where I might find this plant for sale in North Yorkshire, Tyne
& Wear or Teesside?

I've seen some in Harlow Carr for sale 2 weeks ago and in Harrogate
too - expensive and I was tempted but I don't have the room. Why don't
you do a search for local garden centres and phone to find if they
have it.

http://www.upmystreet.com/UK

Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 9 May, 23:25, La Puce wrote:
On 9 May, 22:55, "Duncan" wrote:

May be a bit late this year, but I have "gardening rights" on a sizeable bit
of damp ground in North Yorkshire just crying out for something spectacular
and I thought G. manicata would fit the bill. But I couldn't find any! Does
anyone know where I might find this plant for sale in North Yorkshire, Tyne
& Wear or Teesside?

I've seen some in Harlow Carr for sale 2 weeks ago and in Harrogate
too - expensive and I was tempted but I don't have the room. Why don't
you do a search for local garden centres and phone to find if they
have it.

http://www.upmystreet.com/UK

Use the on-line RHS plant-finder. Type in the plant you're looking
for and It'll list relevant nurseries by area.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 10, 10:57 am, Ornata wrote:
On 9 May, 23:25, La Puce wrote:

On 9 May, 22:55, "Duncan" wrote:

May be a bit late this year, but I have "gardening rights" on a sizeable bit
of damp ground in North Yorkshire just crying out for something spectacular
and I thought G. manicata would fit the bill. But I couldn't find any! Does
anyone know where I might find this plant for sale in North Yorkshire, Tyne
& Wear or Teesside?

I've seen some in Harlow Carr for sale 2 weeks ago and in Harrogate
too - expensive and I was tempted but I don't have the room. Why don't
you do a search for local garden centres and phone to find if they
have it.

http://www.upmystreet.com/UK

Use the on-line RHS plant-finder. Type in the plant you're looking
for and It'll list relevant nurseries by area.

http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/Pr...roductID=10054 -
I bought one from them last year and it is thriving.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Duncan" wrote in message
May be a bit late this year, but I have "gardening rights" on a sizeable
bit of damp ground in North Yorkshire just crying out for something
spectacular and I thought G. manicata would fit the bill. But I couldn't
find any! Does anyone know where I might find this plant for sale in North
Yorkshire, Tyne & Wear or Teesside?

Alternatively, I can buy seeds on line. Is it difficult to raise from
seed?

Duncan

I am certain you will find Gunnera available from several local sources. The
chances are that it will be labelled manicata but will probably be
tinctoria.
Both nice plants .

Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Duncan" wrote in message
May be a bit late this year, but I have "gardening rights" on a sizeable
bit of damp ground in North Yorkshire just crying out for something
spectacular and I thought G. manicata would fit the bill. But I couldn't
find any! Does anyone know where I might find this plant for sale in
North Yorkshire, Tyne & Wear or Teesside?

Alternatively, I can buy seeds on line. Is it difficult to raise from
seed?

Duncan

I am certain you will find Gunnera available from several local sources.
The chances are that it will be labelled manicata but will probably be
tinctoria.
Both nice plants .

Have you tried pond / water garden centres?

Old 12-05-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Beer Rock wrote:
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Duncan" wrote in message
.. .

May be a bit late this year, but I have "gardening rights" on a sizeable
bit of damp ground in North Yorkshire just crying out for something
spectacular and I thought G. manicata would fit the bill. But I couldn't
find any! Does anyone know where I might find this plant for sale in
North Yorkshire, Tyne & Wear or Teesside?

Hello Duncan,

We bought ours from Reighton Garden Centre which is just off the A165
between Filey and Bridlington, turn inland at the Doterel Pub and it is
about half a mile. I hope I have remembered this correctly, it is some
time ago. It is a privately run Garden Centre, well worth a visit, they
have lots of unusual plants, some very cheap.

We have found that our Gunera thrives without being in wet conditions,
the leaves aren't quite as spectacular as one grown in a bog, but we get
five or six leaves and a flower each year. The biggest leaves will be
nearly three feet across so they make quite a statement.

All the best,

Chris Potts
Old 05-06-2007, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:
Alternatively, I can buy seeds on line. Is it difficult to raise from
seed?

I'm way out of date but have been having trouble with my news groups !! :-(

We have some gunnera of a fairly large variety, and I think it has set some
seed.

If you haven't been successful elsewhere, and if we have some seed, I can
certainly send you some.

John N.

--
From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------

Big leak, big problem Nan & Rich Zitney Ponds (moderated) 5 31-08-2009 01:08 PM
Big Pond - big trouble (x posted) Sky-Catcher Ponds (moderated) 2 29-08-2007 02:18 AM
big pond - big problem Sky-Catcher Ponds 4 28-06-2007 03:23 PM
Mini Gunneras Monkey Gardening 2 18-05-2006 12:44 AM
Mini Gunneras Monkey United Kingdom 3 17-05-2006 10:57 AM