Old 13-05-2007, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default something for the weekend

"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Kate Morgan" wrote ...
No not what you think :-) on a wet soggy morning I thought people might
have time to think. I have 12 bales of hay surplus to requirement and
feel
there has to be a use for them somewhere in the garden, the only thing I
have come up with so far is a wall for a raised bed, any more ideas
would
be welcome.

As they are excellent insulation I've seen them used for growing Melons
on a
local allotment (Italian chap). Make a raised bed with them, two high,
poles
shoved down through will keep them in place, then fill with horse manure
etc
which will get warm. Plant the Melons on top of this and provide some
protection from the wind around the frame.

Along with manure for heat (I think) isn't this rather how they're grown
at
Heligan, Bob?

Yes, it's the fresh manure that gets hot as it rots down, and the bales do
to, so giving the plants the heat they need in our uncertain climate. The
manure can be used as normal the following season as it's well rotted by
then.
Don't know about Heligan, it's some time since I've been there and I don't
think I've been during the summer for years, but it's rather like the way
the Victorians used manure to provide heat for pineapples etc.
The Italian chap always had an excellent crop and did this every year so
providing well rotted manure each year too.
--
Regards
Bob H