Old 13-05-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default something for the weekend

No not what you think :-) on a wet soggy morning I thought people might
have time to think. I have 12 bales of hay surplus to requirement and feel
there has to be a use for them somewhere in the garden, the only thing I
have come up with so far is a wall for a raised bed, any more ideas would be
welcome.

kate

Old 13-05-2007, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
No not what you think :-) on a wet soggy morning I thought people might
have time to think. I have 12 bales of hay surplus to requirement and feel
there has to be a use for them somewhere in the garden, the only thing I
have come up with so far is a wall for a raised bed, any more ideas would
be welcome.

kate

Kate, what do you think I was thinking?

Kind regards

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 13-05-2007, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote ...
No not what you think :-) on a wet soggy morning I thought people might
have time to think. I have 12 bales of hay surplus to requirement and feel
there has to be a use for them somewhere in the garden, the only thing I
have come up with so far is a wall for a raised bed, any more ideas would
be welcome.

As they are excellent insulation I've seen them used for growing Melons on a
local allotment (Italian chap). Make a raised bed with them, two high, poles
shoved down through will keep them in place, then fill with horse manure etc
which will get warm. Plant the Melons on top of this and provide some
protection from the wind around the frame.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 13-05-2007, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 May, 10:33, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Kate Morgan" wrote ... No not what you think :-) on a wet soggy morning I thought people might
have time to think. I have 12 bales of hay surplus to requirement and feel
there has to be a use for them somewhere in the garden, the only thing I
have come up with so far is a wall for a raised bed, any more ideas would
be welcome.

As they are excellent insulation I've seen them used for growing Melons on a
local allotment (Italian chap). Make a raised bed with them, two high, poles
shoved down through will keep them in place, then fill with horse manure etc
which will get warm. Plant the Melons on top of this and provide some
protection from the wind around the frame.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

One problem with Hay is that it should be cut when the grass is fully
in seed.
You could do the same as we used to do with Straw bales for growing
cucumbers in the past.
Soak them really well and water in high nitrogen fertilizer to get the
bales heating and starting to rot. the Temp. should get up to around
120f (From memory) and stay around there for several days, when it
comes down to around 80f you put a mound of compost on top and plant
into it. the bottom heat gives the palnts a good start.
You have to keep watering the bales or the heat dries them out and the
rotting will stop.
You could do something like this in bed shape and then as it is
cooling build a bed of compost on top.
That is, IF the hay will rot down like straw, but as the hay is denser
and tighter packed I don't know if it will behave the same way
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 13-05-2007, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Kate Morgan" wrote ...
No not what you think :-) on a wet soggy morning I thought people might
have time to think. I have 12 bales of hay surplus to requirement and
feel
there has to be a use for them somewhere in the garden, the only thing I
have come up with so far is a wall for a raised bed, any more ideas
would
be welcome.

As they are excellent insulation I've seen them used for growing Melons
on a
local allotment (Italian chap). Make a raised bed with them, two high,
poles
shoved down through will keep them in place, then fill with horse manure
etc
which will get warm. Plant the Melons on top of this and provide some
protection from the wind around the frame.

Along with manure for heat (I think) isn't this rather how they're grown
at
Heligan, Bob?

Yes, it's the fresh manure that gets hot as it rots down, and the bales do
to, so giving the plants the heat they need in our uncertain climate. The
manure can be used as normal the following season as it's well rotted by
then.
Don't know about Heligan, it's some time since I've been there and I don't
think I've been during the summer for years, but it's rather like the way
the Victorians used manure to provide heat for pineapples etc.
The Italian chap always had an excellent crop and did this every year so
providing well rotted manure each year too.
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 13-05-2007, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May, 11:56, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Yes, it's the fresh manure that gets hot as it rots down, and the bales do
to, so giving the plants the heat they need in our uncertain climate. The
manure can be used as normal the following season as it's well rotted by
then.
Don't know about Heligan, it's some time since I've been there and I don't
think I've been during the summer for years, but it's rather like the way
the Victorians used manure to provide heat for pineapples etc.

Heligan, I was there last year, have a melon house which uses a boiler
to hot water pipes under the beds. The pineaple pits are still
functioning and they grow cucumbers on it, it's made with manure and
bark fermenting together and providing the eat. Last year as part of
our Permaculture ceremony we did a project with straw bales. We cooked
our dinner in it - a veggie hotpot which took all day to heat up. I
made a throne with strawberries on either sides in the bales, cosy and
warm and sipped my well earned beer in it )

The Italian chap always had an excellent crop and did this every year so
providing well rotted manure each year too.

Monty showed this a couple of weeks ago though he had the bbc money to
make a fabulous huge and tall wooden bed. I'm doing melons in this
way, but mine is a digged pit because I've spent enough this year on
stuff....

Old 13-05-2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Good for mulching, placing under strawberries and courgettes/marrows.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 15-05-2007, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May 2007 02:59:20 -0700, Dave Hill
wrote:

[...]

As I understand it, the best high nitrogen fertiliser is urine. Use
it as a "green" toilet, if you have a suitable place, and when the hay
starts to heat up, do as Dave says!
I know Adam Hart Davis (he of "What the Romans did for us" etc) has
one in his garden in Bristol. Only suitable for the men to use, he
says. His is made of straw bales, not hay.

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-05-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Why can't women use it as well?

Old 16-05-2007, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 15, 4:50 pm, Pam Moore wrote:
As I understand it, the best high nitrogen fertiliser is urine. Use
it as a "green" toilet, if you have a suitable place, and when the hay
starts to heat up, do as Dave says!

As old timers (urglers) know I tried the urine tip and each night
saved it all only one morning to have a slight accident coming
downstairs, I swear I can still see a slight yellowing on the carpet
and up the walls and a whiff of eau de pee, despite hours of cleaning
Never again, I now buy that accelerator stuff.

Old 16-05-2007, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 15, 4:50 pm, Pam Moore wrote:
As I understand it, the best high nitrogen fertiliser is urine. Use
it as a "green" toilet, if you have a suitable place, and when the hay
starts to heat up, do as Dave says!

As old timers (urglers) know I tried the urine tip and each night
saved it all only one morning to have a slight accident coming
downstairs, I swear I can still see a slight yellowing on the carpet
and up the walls and a whiff of eau de pee, despite hours of cleaning
Never again, I now buy that accelerator stuff.

You should have used a bucket!