Old 13-05-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
AlanG AlanG is offline

Default what is eating my vegetables

"Brandon Riffel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody help me figure out what is eating on my veggies? I have
Early Girl and Goliath tomatoes growing in a half barrel that have
complete limbs that are missing foliage. There are small black
dropping on the bare branches. I also noticed some bird dropping in
the soil as well. I have cages around them which would give a bird a
wonderful perch while pecking my plants.

You've got tomato hornworms, which are very well camouflaged and usually do
all their chomping at night.
I had huge infestations last year, and just pick them off rather than spray
anything.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Pests/tomato.htm