Old 12-05-2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default what is eating my vegetables

Can anybody help me figure out what is eating on my veggies? I have
Early Girl and Goliath tomatoes growing in a half barrel that have
complete limbs that are missing foliage. There are small black
dropping on the bare branches. I also noticed some bird dropping in
the soil as well. I have cages around them which would give a bird a
wonderful perch while pecking my plants.

I also have some green beans that are being nibbled on. They are in
the garden which is not protected from wildlife. I've noticed a pair
of doves haning out on the shed next to the garden and sometimes I
seen the female in the garden. We also have a martin house that
attracts lots of sparrows whcih I see near the garden. Is it the
birds that are nibbling holes in the leaves of the beans, or some sort
of insect. Here are some pictures.

Tomatoes
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7...01largedr0.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5...02largelu4.jpg
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7...03largepn5.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9...04largeef8.jpg

Beans
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7...05largewa9.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4...06largemh2.jpg
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/8...07largeac2.jpg

Thank you,
Brandon Riffel

Old 13-05-2007, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 12, 10:18 am, Brandon Riffel wrote:
Can anybody help me figure out what is eating on my veggies? I have
Early Girl and Goliath tomatoes growing in a half barrel that have
complete limbs that are missing foliage. There are small black
dropping on the bare branches. I also noticed some bird dropping in
the soil as well. I have cages around them which would give a bird a
wonderful perch while pecking my plants.

I also have some green beans that are being nibbled on. They are in
the garden which is not protected from wildlife. I've noticed a pair
of doves haning out on the shed next to the garden and sometimes I
seen the female in the garden. We also have a martin house that
attracts lots of sparrows whcih I see near the garden. Is it the
birds that are nibbling holes in the leaves of the beans, or some sort
of insect. Here are some pictures.

Tomatoeshttp://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7974/plantdamage2007001largedr0.jpghttp://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5795/plantdamage2007002largelu4.jpghttp://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7288/plantdamage2007003largepn5.jpghttp://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9783/plantdamage2007004largeef8.jpg

Beanshttp://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7171/plantdamage2007005largewa9.jpghttp://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4199/plantdamage2007006largemh2.jpghttp://img516.imageshack.us/img516/8421/plantdamage2007007largeac2.jpg

Thank you,
Brandon Riffel

Go out before bedtime with a flashlight and you will probably see the
culprit, IMO slugs.
But it could easily be other pests, a few shallow pans of soapy water
set beneath you plants will trap and drown the likely suspects.
But a visual inspection at night will probably show you who is
munching.

Old 13-05-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brandon Riffel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody help me figure out what is eating on my veggies? I have
Early Girl and Goliath tomatoes growing in a half barrel that have
complete limbs that are missing foliage. There are small black
dropping on the bare branches. I also noticed some bird dropping in
the soil as well. I have cages around them which would give a bird a
wonderful perch while pecking my plants.

You've got tomato hornworms, which are very well camouflaged and usually do
all their chomping at night.
I had huge infestations last year, and just pick them off rather than spray
anything.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Pests/tomato.htm

Old 13-05-2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brandon Riffel" wrote in message
ups.com...

I also have some green beans that are being nibbled on. They are in
the garden which is not protected from wildlife. I've noticed a pair
of doves haning out on the shed next to the garden and sometimes I
seen the female in the garden. We also have a martin house that
attracts lots of sparrows whcih I see near the garden. Is it the
birds that are nibbling holes in the leaves of the beans, or some sort
of insect.

Probably leaf beetles, but you might also have slugs mixed in for good
measure.

I wouldn't be obsessed enough to set the alarm, but if I was up during the
night I'd definitely go out and check the tomatoes and beans with a
flashlight.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ure/M1185.html

Old 14-05-2007, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

Brandon Riffel wrote:
Can anybody help me figure out what is eating on my veggies? I have
Early Girl and Goliath tomatoes growing in a half barrel that have
complete limbs that are missing foliage. There are small black
dropping on the bare branches. I also noticed some bird dropping in
the soil as well. I have cages around them which would give a bird a
wonderful perch while pecking my plants.

Tomatoes
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7...01largedr0.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5...02largelu4.jpg
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7...03largepn5.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9...04largeef8.jpg

As mentioned the tomatoes are being attacked by horn worm. You will be
amazed how well camouflaged they will be...unless you lucked out and the
bird dropping was from a bird that beat you to the worm....

Lar

Old 15-05-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

[...]

Ain't the birds, doves, martins, and sparrows don't eat leaves.
They're most likely eating the bugs eating the leaves.

Old 16-05-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Tomato hornworms are large and thick, 3 inches long, and more, but their green color blends so well that they are hard
to spot (they have spots also!). Find the droppings and look up...stare at the tomato plant, every branch, and keep
staring until you spot it. They eat a lot and leave lots of droppings. Look at the area with the most damage, and the
most recent damage. When you find one, it won't want to go and you won't want to grab it. It'll be a tug of war, but
you will win.

jc

Old 16-05-2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

The first time I saw one, I heard it first. The munching sounds were clearly
audible from 5 feet away. I was astounded that such a small creature could
make that much noise. This is before playing in a band wrecked my ears,
though.

Old 17-05-2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

THANK YOU ALL! I will be out there tonight with the flashlight! I
will probably check out the droppings and look for worms after work
first. The strange thing is, they aren't going after the cherry
tomatoes. Maybe they are just waiting until the Goliath plants are
chewed up.

Thanks again!

[IMG] code is On

Bower Birds eating vegetables Joshua Slocum Australia 6 27-11-2006 01:55 PM
Too much fertilizer makes vegetables poisonous? Tony Edible Gardening 8 26-10-2003 01:12 AM
eating vegetables grown in London garden JK United Kingdom 4 09-06-2003 09:20 PM
vegetables - When to plant? dt Texas 1 24-03-2003 02:44 PM
Request for Recommendations: Book on Vegetables Neil Trotter United Kingdom 9 29-01-2003 11:36 PM