Old 14-05-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Total Newbie at the age of 57

On 14 May, 09:30, "Mary" wrote:
Please I ask to excuse my naivety and what may appear to be silly questions
to some.

This year , in fact two weeks ago is the very first time that I have
attempted to grow vegs.. I know that this is a little early to contenplate
this, but once grown and harvested how do I freeze the surplus runner beans
and peas that I hope that I will have.

I have to put down this new venture to my neighbour.. we have just moved
into our bungalow, and this all started when my neighbour gave me some
tomatoes plants, which I now have in the green house.
Any help and advice believe me, will be gratefully received

Hullo Mary. Click on the link below and see all the advice from
picking vegs to storing and freezing. There's a lovely book also
called How to store your garden produce, the key to self sufficiency
by Piers Warren from Green Books www.greenbooks.co.uk. It's my bible
and I love it. The tips are clear to follow and the illustrations
amusing. It shows you how to dry store, juice, freeze, bottle, jams
and chutneys.

I don't grow runner beans - don't like them - but I do tons of peas. I
blanch them for 2 minutes, cool and freeze. I can't remember buying
any peas. The blanching time depends on you - some do 1 minutes others
3, it depends how you like your peas. I like cooking them with mint
and onions, so I don't blanch them long. Have fun!

http://www.thecei.org.uk/Beanstalk/harvest.htm