Old 14-05-2007, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Total Newbie at the age of 57

Please I ask to excuse my naivety and what may appear to be silly questions
to some.

This year , in fact two weeks ago is the very first time that I have
attempted to grow vegs.. I know that this is a little early to contenplate
this, but once grown and harvested how do I freeze the surplus runner beans
and peas that I hope that I will have.

I have to put down this new venture to my neighbour.. we have just moved
into our bungalow, and this all started when my neighbour gave me some
tomatoes plants, which I now have in the green house.
Any help and advice believe me, will be gratefully received

Mary
( Evesham)

Old 14-05-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 May, 09:30, "Mary" wrote:
Please I ask to excuse my naivety and what may appear to be silly questions
to some.

This year , in fact two weeks ago is the very first time that I have
attempted to grow vegs.. I know that this is a little early to contenplate
this, but once grown and harvested how do I freeze the surplus runner beans
and peas that I hope that I will have.

I have to put down this new venture to my neighbour.. we have just moved
into our bungalow, and this all started when my neighbour gave me some
tomatoes plants, which I now have in the green house.
Any help and advice believe me, will be gratefully received

Hullo Mary. Click on the link below and see all the advice from
picking vegs to storing and freezing. There's a lovely book also
called How to store your garden produce, the key to self sufficiency
by Piers Warren from Green Books www.greenbooks.co.uk. It's my bible
and I love it. The tips are clear to follow and the illustrations
amusing. It shows you how to dry store, juice, freeze, bottle, jams
and chutneys.

I don't grow runner beans - don't like them - but I do tons of peas. I
blanch them for 2 minutes, cool and freeze. I can't remember buying
any peas. The blanching time depends on you - some do 1 minutes others
3, it depends how you like your peas. I like cooking them with mint
and onions, so I don't blanch them long. Have fun!

http://www.thecei.org.uk/Beanstalk/harvest.htm

Old 14-05-2007, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary" wrote ...
This year , in fact two weeks ago is the very first time that I have
attempted to grow vegs.. I know that this is a little early to contenplate
this, but once grown and harvested how do I freeze the surplus runner
beans and peas that I hope that I will have.

I have to put down this new venture to my neighbour.. we have just moved
into our bungalow, and this all started when my neighbour gave me some
tomatoes plants, which I now have in the green house.
Any help and advice believe me, will be gratefully received

Personally we don't bother freezing Runners, just enjoy them fresh and give
away any surplus, they don't freeze well IMO.
Whereas peas freeze beautifully, pod the peas, get yourself some freezer
bags and weigh out enough peas for a meal for the family and then freeze
them in bags of that weight. No need to blanch or anything.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 15-05-2007, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 May, 10:25, "Mary" wrote:
Thanks so much for that.. I have ordered the book... so here is keeping
fingers crossed

Lovely. Enjoy!

Old 15-05-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 3:39 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Mary" wrote ... This year , in fact two weeks ago is the very first time that I have
[...]

I would agree with that Bob, blanching peas is totally unnecessary. I
find French Dwarf beans freeze very well and again, I do not blanch
them.

I tried carrot but I thought the fibres changed and I didn't like it.
I freeze a glut of tomatoes without any treatment at all to use later
on for chutney. Strawberries freeze without any treatment but they
are only good for making jam or toppings. My blackcurrants and
redcurrants. I cook them down and put them in a jelly bag to drip all
night into a saucepan and I freeze the juice for making icecream and a
pouring sauce.

Old 15-05-2007, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith. wrote after"Bob Hobden"replied to
[...]

Sue makes Passata out of the surplus tomatoes and freezes that in bags in
lots the same as one can buy. Roughly chop the toms, put in a large saucepan
and bring to the boil and simmer gently until they turn to mush. Blitz in a
food processor until smooth and then strain into a large bowl and then bag
up.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 16-05-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

" writes

I tried carrot but I thought the fibres changed and I didn't like it.

Carrots might freeze better after cooking. They're certainly OK if
frozen in a stew.

I freeze a glut of tomatoes without any treatment at all to use later
on for chutney. Strawberries freeze without any treatment but they
are only good for making jam or toppings. My blackcurrants and
redcurrants. I cook them down and put them in a jelly bag to drip all
night into a saucepan and I freeze the juice for making icecream and a
pouring sauce.

Redcurrants and blackcurrants freeze nicely whole
--
Kay
Old 17-05-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 16, 11:02 pm, K wrote:
" writes

I tried carrot but I thought the fibres changed and I didn't like it.

Carrots might freeze better after cooking. They're certainly OK if
frozen in a stew.

I freeze a glut of tomatoes without any treatment at all to use later
on for chutney. Strawberries freeze without any treatment but they
are only good for making jam or toppings. My blackcurrants and
redcurrants. I cook them down and put them in a jelly bag to drip all
night into a saucepan and I freeze the juice for making icecream and a
pouring sauce.

Redcurrants and blackcurrants freeze nicely whole

Kay, what do you use yours for after freezing?

Old 17-05-2007, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

" writes
On May 16, 11:02 pm, K wrote:
" writes

I tried carrot but I thought the fibres changed and I didn't like it.

Carrots might freeze better after cooking. They're certainly OK if
frozen in a stew.

I freeze a glut of tomatoes without any treatment at all to use later
on for chutney. Strawberries freeze without any treatment but they
are only good for making jam or toppings. My blackcurrants and
redcurrants. I cook them down and put them in a jelly bag to drip all
night into a saucepan and I freeze the juice for making icecream and a
pouring sauce.

Redcurrants and blackcurrants freeze nicely whole

Kay, what do you use yours for after freezing?

Anything. Pies, puddings, mix in with yogurt, serve with egg custard or
rice pudding. Anything I'd use fruit for. At the moment I've a general
frozen fruit glut - redcurrants, alpine strawberries and mulberries -
need to get through it before the new soft fruit season starts ;-)
--
Kay