Old 15-05-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Our Bungalow

On 15 May, 17:56, Chris Potts wrote:
The paving on the front drive came about when we bought a new caravan.
It was too heavy for us to move on the gravel, but rather than concrete
a large area we decided just to concrete the bits that the caravan
wheels moved on. This we did and it has produced quite by chance a
piece of abstract art (that is probably taking it a bit far). It is
certainly a talking point. We often wonder what passing helicopters
think.

Fascinating. I knew there must be a story to this. It is an excellent
idea because the new residents will not only have a story to tell too
(and maybe a caravan as well) but planting can still be done on the
edges of the paving and a small child would love to walk around - my
little ones would have certainly enjoyed it when they used to make
'roads' with chalk and drive their little cars, draw farms and shops
etc. They sadly and reassuringly don't do this anymore (17 and 12
now)!

Best of luck with your building project. I imagine a plot of land of
any size is very expensive in Manchester. We have found that house
prices are about twice what they are on this side of the country.

Indeed. It is ridiculous. We might have found something in Northenden,
with a bit more than 2 acres. There is a bungalow on it, far too small
for us, but enough land to build our own and then demolish the
bungalow. The only problem is that there is a public foot path into a
forest which we cannot fence off, which leaves the garden open to
anybody and anyone, which is not very good with our dogs and general
security. I don't know the area very well, but my gut feelings tell me
it's not for us.

Still hunting.