Old 13-05-2007, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Our Bungalow

Hello All,

We are moving from North Lincolnshire to Manchester to be near our grand
children. We live in a bungalow with a large garden which we have
lovingly created over the last forty years. It would suit anyone
wishing to enjoy a spacious garden planted with many trees, shrubs and
perennials, providing lots of wonderful foliage for anyone interested in
flower arranging. We also are very interested in wildlife and have
planted our garden accordingly. If anyone is interested please look at

http://www.houseweb.com/cgi-bin/view.pl?ad=190641

All the best,

Chris Potts

Old 13-05-2007, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What a beautiful back garden, wish mine looked anything like that.
I spy a caravan too, good taste ;-)
--
Regards,
Vister Caravans & Camping

Old 13-05-2007, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I hate to raise your hopes by seeing a reply to your post but I just wanted
to say good luck!

Your house and gardens are gorgeous and to move must be heart-wrenching,
despite the joys of your grand-children. My mother is bed-bound following a
stroke 8 years ago (dad being a full-time carer now) and my wife's parents
have both died recentley. Fortunately, we were close as a family and have
many happy memories. Being together is the right thing to do and despite
leaving such a beautiful home, you are making the right decision.

Enjoy your future and enjoy building a grand-children friendly Narnia garden
for them!

God Bless! Manchester................enjoy the rain too! ;-)

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 13-05-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 4:00 pm, Chris Potts wrote:
Hello All,

We are moving from North Lincolnshire to Manchester to be near our grand
children. We live in a bungalow with a large garden which we have
lovingly created over the last forty years. It would suit anyone
wishing to enjoy a spacious garden planted with many trees, shrubs and
perennials, providing lots of wonderful foliage for anyone interested in
flower arranging. We also are very interested in wildlife and have
planted our garden accordingly. If anyone is interested please look at

http://www.houseweb.com/cgi-bin/view.pl?ad=190641

It looks lovely Chris. I too will be moving this year. We will be
downsizing dramatically from a very large house and garden to an
apartment in London.

This will be a new phase of our lives as we have a house in France and
I will be able to totally redesign our garden there. At the moment it
is a gravel garden which more or less looks after itself when we are
not there, now I want to create beds, grass, veg and fruit. I hope
your home sells soon.

Old 14-05-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 9:33 pm, "Baal" wrote:
God Bless! Manchester................enjoy the rain too! ;-)

What rain?! cough

La Puce
Manchester

Old 14-05-2007, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 4:00 pm, Chris Potts wrote:

We are moving from North Lincolnshire to Manchester to be near our grand
children. We live in a bungalow with a large garden which we have
lovingly created over the last forty years. It would suit anyone
wishing to enjoy a spacious garden planted with many trees, shrubs and
perennials, providing lots of wonderful foliage for anyone interested in
flower arranging. We also are very interested in wildlife and have
planted our garden accordingly. If anyone is interested please look at
http://www.houseweb.com/cgi-bin/view.pl?ad=190641

Interesting front drive with the paving ... and really beautiful
garden. I wish you as much creativity with your new garden. Manchester
is a great place to live - I know, I've been here 26 years but it all
depends where you are. I live in Whalley Range and wouldn't live
anywhere else or perhaps a couple other place. We're hunting for some
land now to built upon and this is proving difficult. But we're one
hour from sea, mountains, lakes, moors ... there's no better place
really.

Old 15-05-2007, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May, 21:33, "Baal" wrote:
I hate to raise your hopes by seeing a reply to your post but I just wanted
to say good luck!

Your house and gardens are gorgeous and to move must be heart-wrenching,
despite the joys of your grand-children. My mother is bed-bound following a
stroke 8 years ago (dad being a full-time carer now) and my wife's parents
have both died recentley. Fortunately, we were close as a family and have
many happy memories. Being together is the right thing to do and despite
leaving such a beautiful home, you are making the right decision.

Enjoy your future and enjoy building a grand-children friendly Narnia garden
for them!

God Bless! Manchester................enjoy the rain too! ;-)

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Hello Baal,

Thanks for your good wishes. We have both reached (very nearly)
retirement age and have two grandsons, five and two, who live in
Chorlton. As you rightly say it is a great wrench to leave North
Lincolnshire and the garden we have created. We have lived in the same
bungalow for the nearly forty years of our married life, but had the
choice to stay here for the rest of our lives, or to move while we
were young enough. We have found a very nice house on the outskirts
of Partington in southwest Manchester. The soil is very light in
comparison to our heavy clay here, and seems to grow azaleas so we are
looking forward to growing acid loving plants which just go yellow
here. This small area of North Lincolnshire shares the distinction
with part of North Norfolk of being the driest in the country, no
doubt we can expect more rain in Manchester.

I don't know about a Narnia garden, at the moment a football pitch
seems to be the requirement.

Being part of a family means sharing the bad times as well as the
good, and I am sure your father very much apreciates you being
close.

Thanks again for your good wishes,

Chris Potts

Old 15-05-2007, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"chrisjpotts" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 13 May, 21:33, "Baal" wrote:
[...]

Chris, you are doing the wrong thing.

What if your children have job opportunities and move :-((
Your bungalow has been your home for all of these years :-(
There is a vast difference to the traffic/noise/pollution in Manchester/Any
City :-((

You are nearing retirement, what a wonderful place YOUR HAVE THERE for
retirement :-))

I moved WITH a young family TO the Isle of Wight and stayed here. The family
have left and are coming back:-) or trying to come back.

Chris, you are doing it wrong and will regret it.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 15-05-2007, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 May, 14:18, chrisjpotts wrote:
Thanks for your good wishes. We have both reached (very nearly)
retirement age and have two grandsons, five and two, who live in
Chorlton.

Wahey!! Chorlton is my village! This is the second place I wouldn't
mind living in, after Whalley Range (which is 1 mile from Chorlton).
The third place would be East Didsbury. Well, small world.

Old 15-05-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

Chris, you are doing the wrong thing.

What if your children have job opportunities and move :-((
Your bungalow has been your home for all of these years :-(
There is a vast difference to the traffic/noise/pollution in Manchester/Any
City :-((

You are nearing retirement, what a wonderful place YOUR HAVE THERE for
retirement :-))

I moved WITH a young family TO the Isle of Wight and stayed here. The family
have left and are coming back:-) or trying to come back.

Chris, you are doing it wrong and will regret it.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Don't think we have not thought about all those things, but we have
lived in the same small village all our lives, our son went to
university in Manchester, met his wife there and now lives there. They
are not going to come back here! We have designed our garden and tended
it for forty years and we feel we are very much set in our ways,
gardening and socially, and feel like new challenges. We hope to have
the pleasure of designing a new garden from scratch, allbeit on a
smaller scale.

You have been in the Navy, presumably seen the world etc.. We feel we
are very stale, and need to change direction. Also the Isle of Wight is
a much different place from a small village in North Lincolnshire.

We shall see.

All the best,

Chris

Old 15-05-2007, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:

Interesting front drive with the paving ... and really beautiful
garden. I wish you as much creativity with your new garden. Manchester
is a great place to live - I know, I've been here 26 years but it all
depends where you are. I live in Whalley Range and wouldn't live
anywhere else or perhaps a couple other place. We're hunting for some
land now to built upon and this is proving difficult. But we're one
hour from sea, mountains, lakes, moors ... there's no better place
really.

The paving on the front drive came about when we bought a new caravan.
It was too heavy for us to move on the gravel, but rather than concrete
a large area we decided just to concrete the bits that the caravan
wheels moved on. This we did and it has produced quite by chance a
piece of abstract art (that is probably taking it a bit far). It is
certainly a talking point. We often wonder what passing helicopters
think.

Best of luck with your building project. I imagine a plot of land of
any size is very expensive in Manchester. We have found that house
prices are about twice what they are on this side of the country.

Thanks for your good wishes.

All the best,

Chris
Old 15-05-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:

Wahey!! Chorlton is my village! This is the second place I wouldn't
mind living in, after Whalley Range (which is 1 mile from Chorlton).
The third place would be East Didsbury. Well, small world.

It is isn't it. They live in Chorltonville which is very pleasant.

All the best,

Chris

Old 15-05-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 May, 17:56, Chris Potts wrote:
The paving on the front drive came about when we bought a new caravan.
It was too heavy for us to move on the gravel, but rather than concrete
a large area we decided just to concrete the bits that the caravan
wheels moved on. This we did and it has produced quite by chance a
piece of abstract art (that is probably taking it a bit far). It is
certainly a talking point. We often wonder what passing helicopters
think.

Fascinating. I knew there must be a story to this. It is an excellent
idea because the new residents will not only have a story to tell too
(and maybe a caravan as well) but planting can still be done on the
edges of the paving and a small child would love to walk around - my
little ones would have certainly enjoyed it when they used to make
'roads' with chalk and drive their little cars, draw farms and shops
etc. They sadly and reassuringly don't do this anymore (17 and 12
now)!

Best of luck with your building project. I imagine a plot of land of
any size is very expensive in Manchester. We have found that house
prices are about twice what they are on this side of the country.

Indeed. It is ridiculous. We might have found something in Northenden,
with a bit more than 2 acres. There is a bungalow on it, far too small
for us, but enough land to build our own and then demolish the
bungalow. The only problem is that there is a public foot path into a
forest which we cannot fence off, which leaves the garden open to
anybody and anyone, which is not very good with our dogs and general
security. I don't know the area very well, but my gut feelings tell me
it's not for us.

Still hunting.