Old 15-05-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

Default Lawn problems in Edmonton Alberta

On May 13, 10:31 pm, overfifty wrote:
Hello,

I am a senior living in Edmonton in a modular home park. I rent the
lot. When I moved in last year I did not have the time to address the
lawn. This year I want to make it my priority. Approximately 1/3 of
the grass is clover and I have been told that applying Killex properly
will address that. My larger problem is the dandelions. They cover
most of the lawn. I started digging them out. A person would need a
tourist visa because some of the roots I am sure go to China.
Actually, they are approximately 1 foot deep. There are many many
dandelions. I hired a young boy to help, but the job is too big. I
have purchased Roundup, Killex, Weed out and Wipe out. I've used
Killex and Weed out on the dandelions. My question is, will these
products soak down to the dandelion roots 1 foot, or do I continue to
dig them out? The holes in the lawn are many and deep. I can get
soil and I was going to dry out the soil and spray it with killex
prior to filling these holes up so I don't end up with the same
problem. Is this the way to go?

I haven't tried the weed killers on dandelions for a few decades, but
I would guess that Roundup would kill them, if not with the first
dose, then with repeated doses, but also the neighboring grass; Weed B
Gone is supposed to kill the broadleaf weeds not the grass.
for the past few years I'm just mechanically pulling them out with one
of those weed hound gadgets:
http://www.hound-dog.com/weed_hound.htm
i like it because it's tall enough that you don't have to bend over.
The first year there were a lot to pull, fewer last year, this year
maybe between zero and four a day for the past month or so. You dould
probably get along with this after you poison them the first year.
..

I also have fairy ring, and I was told by Holes to dig many holes deep
into the ground and put a mixture of Ivory soap and water on them
continuously. I started doing that. I have 3 fairy rings. I've been
told by many people that it is literally impossible to get rid of fair
ring. Any suggestions other that what I am doing?

Fairy rings are a fungus; i don't have any experience with that, but
presumably there's some product you can use.