Old 14-05-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawn problems in Edmonton Alberta

Hello,

I am a senior living in Edmonton in a modular home park. I rent the
lot. When I moved in last year I did not have the time to address the
lawn. This year I want to make it my priority. Approximately 1/3 of
the grass is clover and I have been told that applying Killex properly
will address that. My larger problem is the dandelions. They cover
most of the lawn. I started digging them out. A person would need a
tourist visa because some of the roots I am sure go to China.
Actually, they are approximately 1 foot deep. There are many many
dandelions. I hired a young boy to help, but the job is too big. I
have purchased Roundup, Killex, Weed out and Wipe out. I've used
Killex and Weed out on the dandelions. My question is, will these
products soak down to the dandelion roots 1 foot, or do I continue to
dig them out? The holes in the lawn are many and deep. I can get
soil and I was going to dry out the soil and spray it with killex
prior to filling these holes up so I don't end up with the same
problem. Is this the way to go?

I've told the young boy to put everything on hold until I find out
more about these products and if they will really work. I only want
to do the heavy maintenance once. Afterwards, general care is no
problem.

I also have fairy ring, and I was told by Holes to dig many holes deep
into the ground and put a mixture of Ivory soap and water on them
continuously. I started doing that. I have 3 fairy rings. I've been
told by many people that it is literally impossible to get rid of fair
ring. Any suggestions other that what I am doing?

With all the products I've purchased, I really can't afford anything
else. If elbow grease is the answer, then I will continue digging
them out.

I've also the appropriate fertilizer as well as grass seed which I am
sure will be fine once the weeds are gone.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I want to get started asap.

Thank you for listening and I look forward to your response. (I think)

Old 14-05-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 13, 7:31 pm, overfifty wrote:
[...]

Roundup should work as long as the dandelions are still growing. If
they are already seeding, you need to remove them without splashing a
lot of seeds all over the place. There are several deep root weeding
tools on the market that can help you get out the entire roots.
They're not very expensive. The more precise, the better. Search on
the Web for 'deep root weeding tools' for some suggestions. You
probably won't find them at the hardware store. Many of these tools
also come with long handles to save your back, as well.

-----
At peace with weeds...

Old 15-05-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

On May 13, 10:31 pm, overfifty wrote:
[...]

I haven't tried the weed killers on dandelions for a few decades, but
I would guess that Roundup would kill them, if not with the first
dose, then with repeated doses, but also the neighboring grass; Weed B
Gone is supposed to kill the broadleaf weeds not the grass.
for the past few years I'm just mechanically pulling them out with one
of those weed hound gadgets:
http://www.hound-dog.com/weed_hound.htm
i like it because it's tall enough that you don't have to bend over.
The first year there were a lot to pull, fewer last year, this year
maybe between zero and four a day for the past month or so. You dould
probably get along with this after you poison them the first year.
..

I also have fairy ring, and I was told by Holes to dig many holes deep
into the ground and put a mixture of Ivory soap and water on them
continuously. I started doing that. I have 3 fairy rings. I've been
told by many people that it is literally impossible to get rid of fair
ring. Any suggestions other that what I am doing?

Fairy rings are a fungus; i don't have any experience with that, but
presumably there's some product you can use.

Old 15-05-2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

z wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Clover used to be deliberately added to lawns to provide nitrogen. If
there's too much clover, high nitrogen fertilizer will help the grass over
the clover.

City of Edmonton recently put out a pamphlet on "grasscycling" which also
has general advice on maintaining/rejuvinating a lawn, IIRC. Maybe you
have it.

I also have fairy ring, and I was told by Holes to dig many holes
deep into the ground and put a mixture of Ivory soap and water on
them continuously. I started doing that. I have 3 fairy rings.
I've been told by many people that it is literally impossible to get
rid of fair ring. Any suggestions other that what I am doing?

Fairy rings are a fungus; i don't have any experience with that, but
presumably there's some product you can use.

There's no simple chemical treatment. Usual advice:
a.) dig it out, at least a foot deep and a foot wide.
b.) mask the effects by aerating, watering and high nitrogen fertilizer.