Old 16-05-2007, 11:55 AM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather Geoff & Heather is offline

Default Worms

Len,
When we first moved in here I had a few compost worms in a plastic worm
farm, but thought the masses of large local worms might be more productive,
so as I dug the garden over I started dropping them in a bucket containing
soil from the garden, by the time I tipped them into my little worm farm,
they were all dead !!

My real compost worms also climb up the walls of their home when it gets too
wet. They also disappear towards the end of summer as it gets too hot -
that's when I dig all the goodies out of the farm (which is just a 1m x1m
x1m brick compost bin with an insulated front door and roof).
Cheers,
Geoff

"len garden" wrote in message
interesting geoff,

never observed that problem before maybe it si the species of wrom
that you have there? might be a good question you can trow to the
museum people or the local appropriate university dept'? they can all
be very helpfull in these situations.

but yes we reckon the compost worms always find the food scraps sooner
that the common garden worms do, and having your worm farm in the
garden delivers all that wee, and castings right where you want it.

the only anomily we ever had was many moons ago when we had a
paricularly wet summer (caused by stuff falling outa the sky?) the
compost worms found the gardens too wet so they climbed up the walls
of the house and huddles in clumps on the window sills.

On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:00:13 +1000, "Geoff & Heather"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev