Old 16-05-2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default Koi foam and lily baby

I just posted a couple of pics on The Freshwater Aquarium on Google.

One pic is of a lily baby. The lily baby is a first for us. I
thought it was just floating. It is not. It has a stem that is at
least 20" long. The small leaves are like the parent plant and it is
clearly sending roots down. This is how our hyacinths reproduce. The
lilies have always extended their tuber before. Has anyone had their
lily send a shoot like this? Has anyone an idea what promotes this
sort of reproduction?

The other pic shows the foam from our koi beginning to breed. Here is
low foam that suggests they have begun breeding. When they get really
going, the foam will stand up 3".

Jim