Old 16-05-2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Koi foam and lily baby

I just posted a couple of pics on The Freshwater Aquarium on Google.

One pic is of a lily baby. The lily baby is a first for us. I
thought it was just floating. It is not. It has a stem that is at
least 20" long. The small leaves are like the parent plant and it is
clearly sending roots down. This is how our hyacinths reproduce. The
lilies have always extended their tuber before. Has anyone had their
lily send a shoot like this? Has anyone an idea what promotes this
sort of reproduction?

The other pic shows the foam from our koi beginning to breed. Here is
low foam that suggests they have begun breeding. When they get really
going, the foam will stand up 3".

Jim

Old 16-05-2007, 05:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just posted a couple of pics on The Freshwater Aquarium on Google.

brevity snip
===================================
How about posting the exact URL so we can find the pic easily and quickly.
:-)
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-05-2007, 05:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Good point! The photos are at:

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...7c38731fc2ba79

Jim

Old 17-05-2007, 09:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Good point! The photos are at:

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...7c38731fc2ba79

Jim

======================
Thanks. Is this a tropical water lily? I've never seen anything like it in
my ponds.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-05-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I've seen that happen on a tropical water
lily I had in the deck pond one year.

It's called viviparous reproduction.

Some tropical Water Lilies can be increased by viviparous reproduction. This is the development of tiny plants at the point of a leaf where the two lobes connect. Some varieties will produce plants from wilted flowers; however, this is rare. The small, viviparous plantlets develop tiny leaves and some roots, but don't grow vigorously until the parent leaf begins to die. When you see roots growing, remove the new plant and pot them in small containers and treat as a seedling with 2 or 3 inches of water over the soil. Protect them from direct sun and begin feeding applications of fertilizer.

From this webpage

http://www.iamshaman.com/lotus/cultivation.htm

k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Old 18-05-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I just posted a couple of pics on The Freshwater Aquarium on Google.

One pic is of a lily baby. The lily baby is a first for us.

That is cool Jim, it probably was a pollinated lily that didn't get
deadheaded and made a baby (my guess.... probably should read all the
replies before answering in case someone really knows, but I'm excited for
you)! If my guess is correct, it will be some cross between what you have
in the pond and you could get something really cool and different than what
you have now.

The other pic shows the foam from our koi beginning to breed. Here is
low foam that suggests they have begun breeding. When they get really
going, the foam will stand up 3".Jim

I currently have foam, but not from the fish breeding, it is from tree
breeding. Pine Pollen, gak! Turns the water kind of yellow too. So I'm
upping my water changes to twice a week, if not more to see if I can get
rid of it faster. I may throw some of my carbon padding in the filter also.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-05-2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks y'all. We now have data about our new small, viviparous
plantlets. Since posting, we have discovered two more of the new
lilies.

Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Koi foam and lily baby Pondmeister Ponds 0 16-05-2007 04:34 PM
FA: Brushcutter and Blower attachment, Coke Bottle openers, Door/Window Foam and rubber seals + More How do u what Australia 0 19-06-2006 02:30 PM
2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
PICS-koi and lily and OOPS! Denise Ponds 0 30-05-2004 12:06 AM
beautiful baby koi.... on catfishfood - some koi/gf mix ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 9 15-11-2003 08:12 PM