Old 16-05-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_2_] Alan Holmes[_2_] is offline

Default something for the weekend

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On 13 May 2007 02:59:20 -0700, Dave Hill
wrote:

On 13 May, 10:33, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Kate Morgan" wrote ... No not what you think :-) on a wet soggy
morning I thought people might
have time to think. I have 12 bales of hay surplus to requirement and
feel
there has to be a use for them somewhere in the garden, the only thing
have come up with so far is a wall for a raised bed, any more ideas
would
be welcome.

As they are excellent insulation I've seen them used for growing Melons
on a
local allotment (Italian chap). Make a raised bed with them, two high,
poles
shoved down through will keep them in place, then fill with horse manure
etc
which will get warm. Plant the Melons on top of this and provide some
protection from the wind around the frame.

--
Regards
Bob H

One problem with Hay is that it should be cut when the grass is fully
in seed.
You could do the same as we used to do with Straw bales for growing
cucumbers in the past.
Soak them really well and water in high nitrogen fertilizer to get the
bales heating and starting to rot. the Temp. should get up to around
120f (From memory) and stay around there for several days, when it
comes down to around 80f you put a mound of compost on top and plant
into it. the bottom heat gives the palnts a good start.
You have to keep watering the bales or the heat dries them out and the
rotting will stop.
You could do something like this in bed shape and then as it is
cooling build a bed of compost on top.
That is, IF the hay will rot down like straw, but as the hay is denser
and tighter packed I don't know if it will behave the same way
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

As I understand it, the best high nitrogen fertiliser is urine. Use
it as a "green" toilet, if you have a suitable place, and when the hay
starts to heat up, do as Dave says!
I know Adam Hart Davis (he of "What the Romans did for us" etc) has
one in his garden in Bristol. Only suitable for the men to use, he
says. His is made of straw bales, not hay.

Why can't women use it as well?