Old 16-05-2007, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default olive tree - olea europaea - Winter hardy in UK?

Has anyone got any experience growing an olive tree outside in the UK?
I've just bought one (an impulse buy) but according to the label it should
be kept in a frost free place over Winter. The tree is 5 feet high with a
half inch diameter trunk. We don't have much suitable space so it would be
inconvenient to keep it indoors over Winter.

After Googling, it seems they can survive outside in the UK if they are
mature enough. Question is - what is mature enough? Would it survive planted
outdoors in a sheltered but sunny spot provided I wrapped it head to toe in
fleece over Winter, until it is old enough to cope?

Also - are they self fertile or do I need another tree? I'm partial to juicy
black olives.

The weather here in Normandy is very similar to Southern England.

Any suggestions?

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk