Old 17-05-2007, 05:39 PM posted to bionet.plants
Molly Day Molly Day is offline

Default Plant ID

Hi -
I sent the photo to a friend who is an herbalist and here is her response -
--------------------------------------
Well, that didn't take long - from the photo it appears flowers only have 4 petals, which why I thought it might be a phlox, BUT - NOT.

From my reference book's photo & plant description I think it is:

SPECTACLE POD Dithyrea Wislizenii (mustard family). These are grayish plants that branch near the top & are 1-5 ft tall. Leaf blades are broad, taper to the tips & without petioles. The flowers grow in terminal racemes that may be a ft long in the fruiting state. Each flower has 4 light blue or purplish petals (although in the book & in your photos the flowers look almost white to me). Each fruit is shaped like the two lenses of a set of spectacles. They are found on sandy slopes throughout the western 1/2 of the state. Bloom time is May - August.

NOTE: The book I bought & use is out of print now. It's Roadside Flowers of Oklahoma by Doyle McCoy

Stephen Sentoff wrote:
Big John wrote:
No one there has any idea
what they are, so I will appreciate any clues.

Thanks --

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...5/CIMG0171.jpg

p.s. I know what the little red ones are -it's the large white ones I'm
interested in.

Big John

I'd say it's a mustard of some sort. Maybe that's enough to get you
pointed in the right direction.

--
Steve

Martha Stoodley