Old 29-03-2003, 10:56 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Use of the word "behen" in names

Curious. Within the first ten hits of my search engine I got this:

Behen: From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]

Behen \Be"hen\, Behn \Behn\, n. [Per. & Ar. bahman, behmen, an
herb, whose leaves resemble ears of corn, saffron.] (Bot.)
(a) The {Centaurea behen}, or saw-leaved centaury.
(b) The {Cucubalus behen}, or bladder campion, now called
{Silene inflata}.
(c) The {Statice limonium}, or sea lavender.

PvR

schreef
Can anyone give me the history of the use of the word behen in plant
names (and at least one insect i.e. Phytoecia behen) It seems it might
be related to India in some way but I have been unable to find a
description on the web. I am not knowledgable in Botany (should be
obvious) just curious.

Thank you.