Old 19-05-2007, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default red hawthorn tree?

In article ,
"Geoff" writes:
| "john smile" wrote in message
| ups.com...
|
| There are these trees which are flowering now. They look like hawthorn
| trees but their flowers are red (not pinkish white like my hawthorn).
| Their leaves are like hawthorn. Flowering as hawthorn time-wise so
| far.
|
| So are these hawthorn ?
|
| They sound like Paul's Scarlet to me. Yes it is a hawthorn but if in
| doubt, look for the thorns!

There is a thornless variety of C. monogyna, but it doesn't have red
flowers. Paul's Scarlet is C. oxycantha.

If it's a hawthorn, it has edible fruit. In my experience, they are
too small to be worth the effort and insipid to boot, but they have
been used to make jam and wine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.