Old 18-05-2007, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default red hawthorn tree?

There are these trees which are flowering now. They look like hawthorn
trees but their flowers are red (not pinkish white like my hawthorn).
Their leaves are like hawthorn. Flowering as hawthorn time-wise so
far.

So are these hawthorn ?

Thanks in advance

Old 18-05-2007, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john smile" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are these trees which are flowering now. They look like hawthorn
trees but their flowers are red (not pinkish white like my hawthorn).
Their leaves are like hawthorn. Flowering as hawthorn time-wise so
far.

So are these hawthorn ?

Thanks in advance

Yes :-))

We've got one. Masses of coloured flowers!! Good show this year :-)

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 18-05-2007, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john smile" wrote
There are these trees which are flowering now. They look like hawthorn
trees but their flowers are red (not pinkish white like my hawthorn).
Their leaves are like hawthorn. Flowering as hawthorn time-wise so
far.

So are these hawthorn ?

Thanks in advance

Yes. See....
http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/product_10396.html

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 18-05-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, john
smile writes
There are these trees which are flowering now. They look like hawthorn
trees but their flowers are red (not pinkish white like my hawthorn).
Their leaves are like hawthorn. Flowering as hawthorn time-wise so
far.

So are these hawthorn ?

Thanks in advance

Probably. Wild hawthorns have white, or sometimes pinkish-white,
flowers, but there are cultivars with pink or red flowers. There are
double forms of the pink and the red; I haven't seen a double white but
I wouldn't be surprised to find that they also exist.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-05-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john smile" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are these trees which are flowering now. They look like hawthorn
trees but their flowers are red (not pinkish white like my hawthorn).
Their leaves are like hawthorn. Flowering as hawthorn time-wise so
far.

So are these hawthorn ?

They sound like Paul's Scarlet to me. Yes it is a hawthorn but if in
doubt, look for the thorns!

Geoff

Old 19-05-2007, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Geoff" writes:
| "john smile" wrote in message
| ups.com...
|
| There are these trees which are flowering now. They look like hawthorn
| trees but their flowers are red (not pinkish white like my hawthorn).
| Their leaves are like hawthorn. Flowering as hawthorn time-wise so
| far.
|
| So are these hawthorn ?
|
| They sound like Paul's Scarlet to me. Yes it is a hawthorn but if in
| doubt, look for the thorns!

There is a thornless variety of C. monogyna, but it doesn't have red
flowers. Paul's Scarlet is C. oxycantha.

If it's a hawthorn, it has edible fruit. In my experience, they are
too small to be worth the effort and insipid to boot, but they have
been used to make jam and wine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-05-2007, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Snip

There is a thornless variety of C. monogyna, but it doesn't have red
flowers. Paul's Scarlet is C. oxycantha.

C of course is for, "crataegus".

Geoff

Old 19-05-2007, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 19 May 2007 09:10:19 GMT, "Geoff" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

"john smile" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are these trees which are flowering now. They look like hawthorn
trees but their flowers are red (not pinkish white like my hawthorn).
Their leaves are like hawthorn. Flowering as hawthorn time-wise so
far.

So are these hawthorn ?

They sound like Paul's Scarlet to me. Yes it is a hawthorn but if in
doubt, look for the thorns!

Glum.

Mine has just finished with its flowers.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 19-05-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2007 09:10:19 GMT, "Geoff" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

"john smile" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are these trees which are flowering now. They look like hawthorn
trees but their flowers are red (not pinkish white like my hawthorn).
Their leaves are like hawthorn. Flowering as hawthorn time-wise so
far.

So are these hawthorn ?

They sound like Paul's Scarlet to me. Yes it is a hawthorn but if in
doubt, look for the thorns!

Glum.

Mine has just finished with its flowers.

I have 2 in my garden, both are looking fine at the moment. The one
disadvantage is (at least I could find none when looking to buy ) they
do not form fruit, which can look good for a good deal of the Winter.
Old 21-05-2007, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for the replies. I prefer red flowers but since they don't
form fruits... i will stick to its white flowers. It is better for
wildlife.

Old 22-05-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 May, 16:28, Broadback wrote:
I have 2 in my garden, both are looking fine at the moment. The one
disadvantage is (at least I could find none when looking to buy ) they
do not form fruit, which can look good for a good deal of the Winter.

Don't we also call them 'May trees'?! Or am I thinking of something
else? (I'm asking this because a friend just adore them - she says
that we would never be able to reproduce that kind of colour - and I
thought I'd get her one next year).

Old 23-05-2007, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com, john
smile writes
Thank you for the replies. I prefer red flowers but since they don't
form fruits... i will stick to its white flowers. It is better for
wildlife.

There are lots of different Crataegus trees, some with very fine cut
leaves, others with huge flowers and thorns, all will feed the birds
etc.

You do have some choices even within the white flowered varieties!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

What killed our grafted hawthorn shade tree? Richard Sherratt Australia 4 19-05-2010 11:44 PM
hawthorn tree Pat Gardening 5 21-10-2005 06:24 PM
red, red, red rose [email protected] Gardening 4 26-04-2005 03:16 PM
Problem with a hawthorn tree Snappy-fish United Kingdom 4 06-09-2004 08:23 PM
Beef up hawthorn and laurel Alan Gould United Kingdom 0 20-02-2003 07:24 PM