Old 19-05-2007, 01:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
2pods 2pods is offline

Default Do Ponds Need SOMETHING that Burgeons?

"Davy" wrote in message
om...
As a new comer to ponding, a couple of weeks ago I asked on this group if
really needed to buy oxygenating plants for my new 6m x 5m fish-less
wildlife pond. Unfortunately no one with a similar pond replied and most
responders were ambiguous on the matter. So I have decided to leave well
alone and not get the oxygenators.

The pond is very health with clear water. But after recent heavy rain the
blanket weed has increased massively. It occurred to me that maybe the
real
answer to my question may have been that every pond needs something
burgeoning to absorb nutrients. That something may be vigorous
oxygenators, large numbers of marginals, algae, blanket weed, duck weed,
etc.

So although the oxygenators may not be needed to provide oxygen; they
would
be beneficial in absorbing nutrients and preventing the growth of things
that are generally not appreciated.

Does this make any sense?

cheers, Davy

Makes sense to me.

That's planted tank thinking. Fill up the tank with "weeds" (really fast
growing stem plants like Cabomba etc) until the tank cycles, algae has been
and gone etc.
Then, put in the plants you really want to (the weeds starving the algae of
nutrients)

I can see it working with a pond the size of my two (puddles really 800L,
and 1800L), but I don't know about bigger ponds.

I'm using a disolving sachet type thing at the moment, and it seems to help
(though I have quite a few marginals), but as it was a close out line, I'll
need to go with another brand soon.

FWIW my slower lily is covered in BW and has to be cleaned weekly.

Peter