Old 19-05-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default red hawthorn tree?

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2007 09:10:19 GMT, "Geoff" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

"john smile" wrote in message
ups.com...
There are these trees which are flowering now. They look like hawthorn
trees but their flowers are red (not pinkish white like my hawthorn).
Their leaves are like hawthorn. Flowering as hawthorn time-wise so
far.

So are these hawthorn ?

They sound like Paul's Scarlet to me. Yes it is a hawthorn but if in
doubt, look for the thorns!

Glum.

Mine has just finished with its flowers.

I have 2 in my garden, both are looking fine at the moment. The one
disadvantage is (at least I could find none when looking to buy ) they
do not form fruit, which can look good for a good deal of the Winter.