Old 20-05-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default What's this weed?

On 20/5/07 17:09, in article ,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Sun, 20 May 2007 17:00:51 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 20/5/07 15:28, in article
, "Gary"
wrote:

This is growing through into our garden from a plot of owned but untended
land at the back of our house. My wife comes out in a rash if she touches it
- it's sticky.

What is it and are there any good ways of getting rid of it? At the very
least I'd like to be able to ask the owners of the land to get rid of the
'x'
- once I know what 'x' is.

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=weed1xi3.jpg

Cheers!

Variously known as Cleavers, goose grass or sticky willy. Its virtue is
that it's very easy to pull up and for some reason dogs love eating it - or
ours do! Real name Galium aparine.

According to my mum the seeds make a nice drink. It was a coffee
substitute during hard times!

Steve

Apparently so. But equally, it's supposed to be quite an effective
laxative, which might be why dogs eat it. Your takes your chances...!
Looking on another site, I see the some people swear it prevents laminitis
in horses.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk