Old 20-05-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's this weed?

This is growing through into our garden from a plot of owned but untended
land at the back of our house. My wife comes out in a rash if she touches it
- it's sticky.

What is it and are there any good ways of getting rid of it? At the very
least I'd like to be able to ask the owners of the land to get rid of the 'x'
- once I know what 'x' is.

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=weed1xi3.jpg

Cheers!

--
remove stars for email
g*a*r*y*c*o*w*e*l*l*a*t*m*a*c*d*o*t*c*o*m

Old 20-05-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary" wrote in message

This is growing through into our garden from a plot of owned but untended
land at the back of our house. My wife comes out in a rash if she touches
it
- it's sticky.

What is it and are there any good ways of getting rid of it? At the very
least I'd like to be able to ask the owners of the land to get rid of the
'x'
- once I know what 'x' is.

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=weed1xi3.jpg

It's Goose Grass, also known as Cleavers or Sticky Willy. Just pull it up,
its easy to clear.

Old 20-05-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gary wrote:
This is growing through into our garden from a plot of owned but untended
land at the back of our house. My wife comes out in a rash if she touches it
- it's sticky.

What is it and are there any good ways of getting rid of it? At the very
least I'd like to be able to ask the owners of the land to get rid of the 'x'
- once I know what 'x' is.

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=weed1xi3.jpg

Looks like a case of "good old" goosegrass with its hairy sticky leaves
and stem. It's very common shallow rooting weed, but shouldn't cause a
rash unless your skin is extra sensitive. It spreads rapidly by seeding,
but it is easily controlled. Just dig it up with a fork and compost it.
Unless there are already seeds in the ground (good chance there may be)
it won't recur.
Old 20-05-2007, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 May 2007 17:00:51 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 20/5/07 15:28, in article
, "Gary"
wrote:

This is growing through into our garden from a plot of owned but untended
land at the back of our house. My wife comes out in a rash if she touches it
- it's sticky.

What is it and are there any good ways of getting rid of it? At the very
least I'd like to be able to ask the owners of the land to get rid of the 'x'
- once I know what 'x' is.

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=weed1xi3.jpg

Cheers!

Variously known as Cleavers, goose grass or sticky willy. Its virtue is
that it's very easy to pull up and for some reason dogs love eating it - or
ours do! Real name Galium aparine.

According to my mum the seeds make a nice drink. It was a coffee
substitute during hard times!

Steve

Old 21-05-2007, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

do! Real name Galium aparine.

According to my mum the seeds make a nice drink. It was a coffee
substitute during hard times!

Steve

Apparently so. But equally, it's supposed to be quite an effective
laxative, which might be why dogs eat it. Your takes your chances...!
Looking on another site, I see the some people swear it prevents laminitis
in horses.

Good to eat. Boil seeds 10 mins (when green) add butter, salt, pepper,
vinegar to taste. Have never noticed any laxative effect. Sorry got to go...

Old 21-05-2007, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Apparently so. But equally, it's supposed to be quite an effective
laxative, which might be why dogs eat it. Your takes your chances...!
Looking on another site, I see the some people swear it prevents
laminitis
in horses.

I have heard this one too but never tried it. Horses seek out all sorts of
stuff to eat, they know things that we don't. Best thing this time of the
year is Cow parsley, very yummy

kate

Old 22-05-2007, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/5/07 22:17, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

Apparently so. But equally, it's supposed to be quite an effective
laxative, which might be why dogs eat it. Your takes your chances...!
Looking on another site, I see the some people swear it prevents
laminitis
in horses.

I have heard this one too but never tried it. Horses seek out all sorts of
stuff to eat, they know things that we don't. Best thing this time of the
year is Cow parsley, very yummy

kate

Neigh, surely not?
--