Old 21-05-2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sue Burnham Sue Burnham is offline

Default what the heck eats asian lillies from the ground up?

"brock" wrote in message
My wife and I live in upstate NY and for the first time last year had a
problem with some sort of underground pest. I've read that moles don't eat
roots, but these holes look just like mole tunnels. I have noticed that
there are quite a few chipmunks around, but I thought the holes would be
bigger. Will chipmunks take out a root system from underneath? What
happens is this: You notice the lilly leaves are starting to wilt -- when
you touch the plant, it just falls over. The root is completely gone, and
there's a tunnel under it.

I have been making wire baskets out of hardware cloth for this year's
plantings, but that's a LOT of work. I would much prefer to get rid of
whatever it is that is eating them. I think we might have voles and/or
shrews too, since we living in the woods. I've got an electric fence to
keep the deer away, but this is driving us crazy. Thanks for any help!

Agree with Cheryl in a similar post. Voles ( aka field mice).

Last winter was a bonus year for them, the ground hardly froze before mid
january and it was easy tunnelling underground to tasty starchy
tubers/bulbs, no need to worry about above-ground predators. Once the snow
fell, still no need to worry about above ground predators and all their
tunnels were then well insulated. Cheeky, greedy, blasted mini-rats.
Your best hope is that their population increase this year trends to a
spike in Weasel food. Weasels can be a good friend in times like this.
Sorry I can't recommend a fix.

This evening, I have a bear problem.

Sue in Maine