Old 19-05-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default what the heck eats asian lillies from the ground up?

My wife and I live in upstate NY and for the first time last year had a
problem with some sort of underground pest. I've read that moles don't eat
roots, but these holes look just like mole tunnels. I have noticed that
there are quite a few chipmunks around, but I thought the holes would be
bigger. Will chipmunks take out a root system from underneath? What
happens is this: You notice the lilly leaves are starting to wilt -- when
you touch the plant, it just falls over. The root is completely gone, and
there's a tunnel under it.

I have been making wire baskets out of hardware cloth for this year's
plantings, but that's a LOT of work. I would much prefer to get rid of
whatever it is that is eating them. I think we might have voles and/or
shrews too, since we living in the woods. I've got an electric fence to
keep the deer away, but this is driving us crazy. Thanks for any help!
Old 21-05-2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

"brock" wrote in message
[...]

Agree with Cheryl in a similar post. Voles ( aka field mice).

Last winter was a bonus year for them, the ground hardly froze before mid
january and it was easy tunnelling underground to tasty starchy
tubers/bulbs, no need to worry about above-ground predators. Once the snow
fell, still no need to worry about above ground predators and all their
tunnels were then well insulated. Cheeky, greedy, blasted mini-rats.
Your best hope is that their population increase this year trends to a
spike in Weasel food. Weasels can be a good friend in times like this.
Sorry I can't recommend a fix.

This evening, I have a bear problem.

Sue in Maine

Old 21-05-2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sue Burnham" wrote in
:

"brock" wrote in message
My wife and I live in upstate NY and for the first time last year had
a problem with some sort of underground pest. I've read that moles
don't eat roots, but these holes look just like mole tunnels.

Agree with Cheryl in a similar post. Voles ( aka field mice).

Last winter was a bonus year for them, the ground hardly froze before
mid january and it was easy tunnelling underground to tasty starchy
tubers/bulbs, no need to worry about above-ground predators. Once the
snow fell, still no need to worry about above ground predators and all
their tunnels were then well insulated. Cheeky, greedy, blasted
mini-rats. Your best hope is that their population increase this year
trends to a spike in Weasel food. Weasels can be a good friend in
times like this. Sorry I can't recommend a fix.

This evening, I have a bear problem.

Sue in Maine

thanks for the advice -- and sorry about the double post. I didn't think
the first one went due to an xnews lockup. I would guess a bear problem is
a little easier to spot!
Old 21-05-2007, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/20/07 7:36 PM, in article , "Sue
Burnham" wrote:

"brock" wrote in message
[...]

You can also hope for other predators like foxes. I have fox on property and
many fewer moles and voles.

This evening, I have a bear problem.

So I saw. I am especially sorry about the crab apple.

Cheryl