Old 21-05-2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
brock[_3_] brock[_3_] is offline

Default what the heck eats asian lillies from the ground up?

"Sue Burnham" wrote in
:

"brock" wrote in message
My wife and I live in upstate NY and for the first time last year had
a problem with some sort of underground pest. I've read that moles
don't eat roots, but these holes look just like mole tunnels.

Agree with Cheryl in a similar post. Voles ( aka field mice).

Last winter was a bonus year for them, the ground hardly froze before
mid january and it was easy tunnelling underground to tasty starchy
tubers/bulbs, no need to worry about above-ground predators. Once the
snow fell, still no need to worry about above ground predators and all
their tunnels were then well insulated. Cheeky, greedy, blasted
mini-rats. Your best hope is that their population increase this year
trends to a spike in Weasel food. Weasels can be a good friend in
times like this. Sorry I can't recommend a fix.

This evening, I have a bear problem.

Sue in Maine

thanks for the advice -- and sorry about the double post. I didn't think
the first one went due to an xnews lockup. I would guess a bear problem is
a little easier to spot!