Old 21-05-2007, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default apple tree with no buds

lerameur wrote:

On May 20, 8:43 am, sherwindu wrote:
You have left out some important information. What variety of apple is this?
What
rootstock is it on. If it is on standard rootstock, it will be slower to
produce fruit
than a dwarf tree. It if is a tip bearer (fruit on the end of the branch),
excessive
pruning can cut off the next seasons fruit bearing branch tips. Is the tree
getting
enough sunlight? When you answer these questions, I might be able to help you.

Sherwin D.

Yes it is getting a lot of sunlight. It is a mixed variety. There are
5 types of apples on it (hybrid). it is not a dwarf tree, but it it
not huge either.it is about 17 feet of circumference. I f you want I
can put a link with a picture of it later today.
thanks
ken

Ken,

By dwarf, I was refering to the rootstock which determines the final size of the
tree. If it is
not on dwarf rootstock, that could delay the time to see fruit emerging. I am not a
big fan
of these multiple fruit trees. I had one of multiple asian pears, and it only bore
fruit one
season before dying. I assume that all five varieties have the same problem. I
would try
foregoing the pruning for one year, and see if that makes a difference. The other
thing I
would look at is climate. What zone are you in, or where do you live? Depending on
the
varieties of apples, they may not be suited for your climate (not enough chill hours
is the
usual culprit).

Sherwin D.