Old 19-05-2007, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default apple tree with no buds

Hello,

I have a 12 year old apple tree. It is well pruned, but year after
year I get no fruit buds. (well 5 to 10)
Should I be adding some kind of fertilizer. Any idea to make my apple
tree produces buds ??
thanks

ken

Old 20-05-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

lerameur wrote:
Hello,

I have a 12 year old apple tree. It is well pruned, but year after
year I get no fruit buds. (well 5 to 10)
Should I be adding some kind of fertilizer. Any idea to make my apple
tree produces buds ??
thanks

Does it leaf out? Does it flower? What do you mean by "fruit buds"? When
do you prune the tree? How skillfully pruned is "well pruned"? You may
be pruning away bearing wood.
Old 20-05-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 20, 1:05 am, Pennyaline wrote:
lerameur wrote:
Hello,

I have a 12 year old apple tree. It is well pruned, but year after
year I get no fruit buds. (well 5 to 10)
Should I be adding some kind of fertilizer. Any idea to make my apple
tree produces buds ??
thanks

Does it leaf out? Does it flower? What do you mean by "fruit buds"? When
do you prune the tree? How skillfully pruned is "well pruned"? You may
be pruning away bearing wood.

There are a lot of leaves. I have pruned it so that all branches are
almost horizontal. I pruned it this year and only pruned the shoots,
Actually last year too, and removing the branches that goes straight
up. I have another small apple tree and it does flower and gives
fruit. I mean by fruit buds, the little 1 inch buds that the flower
grow out of, there are barely none on that tree.

Old 20-05-2007, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

You have left out some important information. What variety of apple is this?
What
rootstock is it on. If it is on standard rootstock, it will be slower to
produce fruit
than a dwarf tree. It if is a tip bearer (fruit on the end of the branch),
excessive
pruning can cut off the next seasons fruit bearing branch tips. Is the tree
getting
enough sunlight? When you answer these questions, I might be able to help you.

Sherwin D.

Old 20-05-2007, 11:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 20, 8:43 am, sherwindu wrote:
You have left out some important information. What variety of apple is this?
What
rootstock is it on. If it is on standard rootstock, it will be slower to
produce fruit
than a dwarf tree. It if is a tip bearer (fruit on the end of the branch),
excessive
pruning can cut off the next seasons fruit bearing branch tips. Is the tree
getting
enough sunlight? When you answer these questions, I might be able to help you.

Sherwin D.

Yes it is getting a lot of sunlight. It is a mixed variety. There are
5 types of apples on it (hybrid). it is not a dwarf tree, but it it
not huge either.it is about 17 feet of circumference. I f you want I
can put a link with a picture of it later today.
thanks
ken

Old 21-05-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

lerameur wrote:
On May 20, 8:43 am, sherwindu wrote:
You have left out some important information. What variety of apple is this?
What
rootstock is it on. If it is on standard rootstock, it will be slower to
produce fruit
than a dwarf tree. It if is a tip bearer (fruit on the end of the branch),
excessive
pruning can cut off the next seasons fruit bearing branch tips. Is the tree
getting
enough sunlight? When you answer these questions, I might be able to help you.

Sherwin D.

Yes it is getting a lot of sunlight. It is a mixed variety. There are
5 types of apples on it (hybrid). it is not a dwarf tree, but it it
not huge either.it is about 17 feet of circumference. I f you want I
can put a link with a picture of it later today.

That's not a hybrid, per se. As I understand it, that's a lot of
grafting onto what is essentially a single rootstock.

I've read about those trees but have not tried to grow one. I have
always wondered if they could really reliably produce anything and (and
this may be part of your problem) for how long they could produce it.
Old 21-05-2007, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

lerameur wrote:

[...]

Ken,

By dwarf, I was refering to the rootstock which determines the final size of the
tree. If it is
not on dwarf rootstock, that could delay the time to see fruit emerging. I am not a
big fan
of these multiple fruit trees. I had one of multiple asian pears, and it only bore
fruit one
season before dying. I assume that all five varieties have the same problem. I
would try
foregoing the pruning for one year, and see if that makes a difference. The other
thing I
would look at is climate. What zone are you in, or where do you live? Depending on
the
varieties of apples, they may not be suited for your climate (not enough chill hours
is the
usual culprit).

Sherwin D.

Old 21-05-2007, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 19 May 2007 15:50:56 -0700, lerameur wrote:

Hello,

I have a 12 year old apple tree. It is well pruned, but year after
year I get no fruit buds. (well 5 to 10)
Should I be adding some kind of fertilizer. Any idea to make my apple
tree produces buds ??
thanks

ken

Where are you? Does the tree get the necessary hours of chilling in
the winter?
Old 21-05-2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 21, 8:00 am, Charles wrote:
On 19 May 2007 15:50:56 -0700, lerameur wrote:

Hello,

I have a 12 year old apple tree. It is well pruned, but year after
year I get no fruit buds. (well 5 to 10)
Should I be adding some kind of fertilizer. Any idea to make my apple
tree produces buds ??
thanks

ken

Where are you? Does the tree get the necessary hours of chilling in
the winter?

I am live in montreal (well close to it anyway). There are many
orchads nearby so growing apple trees is not a problem. I do have
another apple tree about 4 years old and it has many flowers on it.

[IMG] code is On

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 02:33 AM
Pollinating apple espalier apple Peter James[_2_] United Kingdom 2 22-04-2007 05:44 PM