Old 21-05-2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
svu geek svu geek is offline

Default Need fertilizing help

This year I will be growing tomatoes in large pots and I plan on using
potting soil for this. Should I add a fertilizer to the soil when I
plant them? If so, which of these is best: humus & manure, bone meal,
lime? These are the only fertlizers that are available around here
(other than Miracle Gro) so please don't suggest something not listed
as I won't be able to get it.

Last year I had a problem with BER near the end of the season. I also
wasn't able to get as many tomatoes as I should've and it took
forever. I know the weather was partly responsible (tons of rain in
June; HOT, dry weather in July and August) and I was never able to
figure out when the plants needed water. I also think the fertilizer I
was using (Miracle Gro) had to much nitrogen.