Old 21-05-2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Need fertilizing help

This year I will be growing tomatoes in large pots and I plan on using
potting soil for this. Should I add a fertilizer to the soil when I
plant them? If so, which of these is best: humus & manure, bone meal,
lime? These are the only fertlizers that are available around here
(other than Miracle Gro) so please don't suggest something not listed
as I won't be able to get it.

Last year I had a problem with BER near the end of the season. I also
wasn't able to get as many tomatoes as I should've and it took
forever. I know the weather was partly responsible (tons of rain in
June; HOT, dry weather in July and August) and I was never able to
figure out when the plants needed water. I also think the fertilizer I
was using (Miracle Gro) had to much nitrogen.

Old 21-05-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 21, 12:11 am, svu geek wrote:
This year I will be growing tomatoes in large pots and I plan on using
potting soil for this. Should I add a fertilizer to the soil when I
plant them? If so, which of these is best: humus & manure, bone meal,
lime? These are the only fertlizers that are available around here
(other than Miracle Gro) so please don't suggest something not listed
as I won't be able to get it.

Last year I had a problem with BER near the end of the season. I also
wasn't able to get as many tomatoes as I should've and it took
forever. I know the weather was partly responsible (tons of rain in
June; HOT, dry weather in July and August) and I was never able to
figure out when the plants needed water. I also think the fertilizer I
was using (Miracle Gro) had to much nitrogen.

If you have a Lesco in your area, they sell organic granulated turkey
litter under the brand name of Sustane. It is widely used in golf
courses and its use has been great in my raised gardens. www.raised-garden-bed.com/
Johnny

Old 21-05-2007, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Use a low nitrogen till you start getting small tomatoes then put in
some high nitrogen. Now what kind of tomatoes are you planting. Patio
tomatoes are determinant which means they will set the fruit and quit. I
would pant First Lady II or Champion or Sunsugar. Water when you see the
leaves start to drop a little. Don't put fertilizer on the leaves and
water the roots not the leaves.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 22-05-2007, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Johnny" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Your response makes sense. A tomato plant is an acid fruit producer. It
needs something with an acid base to it. Fowl manure is exactly that.
Dave

Old 22-05-2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

That will work great if you want a tomato tree with very little frut.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley