Old 21-05-2007, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Overwintering

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Well, I have just discovered that one or the other of Ipomoea
indica or purpurea has overwintered in my garden! I shall have to
wait until it flowers to see which, but it looks more like the
former, which is one for the books! Yes, the winter was very mild,
but we had a couple of nights of -8 Celcius.

Also Escholtzia has - I thought that was supposed to be an annual,
and it certainly gre as one in California, but it is beginning to
look awfully perennial with me. Can anyone clarify that?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The Ipomea indica is certainly a perennial in milder areas or concrete
jungles (London). You have sandy soil? which certainly helps in
overwintering many so called tender plants.I guess the term "tender
perennial" is going to be used on an increasing basis.