Old 20-05-2007, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwintering

Well, I have just discovered that one or the other of Ipomoea
indica or purpurea has overwintered in my garden! I shall have to
wait until it flowers to see which, but it looks more like the
former, which is one for the books! Yes, the winter was very mild,
but we had a couple of nights of -8 Celcius.

Also Escholtzia has - I thought that was supposed to be an annual,
and it certainly gre as one in California, but it is beginning to
look awfully perennial with me. Can anyone clarify that?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-05-2007, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote:

I thought that was supposed to be an annual,
and it certainly grown as one in California, but it is beginning to
look awfully perennial with me. Can anyone clarify that?

---
My Eschscholzia has also overwintered and is now flowering
very well indeed - in Peterbororough.
My neighbour's red pelargoniums in their hanging basket
from last year, are still flowering and have been doing so
throughout the winter. I also have lobelia that has survived
the winter outdoors, though it is not in flower yet.

MikeCT

Old 21-05-2007, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Well, I have just discovered that one or the other of Ipomoea
indica or purpurea has overwintered in my garden! I shall have to
wait until it flowers to see which, but it looks more like the
former, which is one for the books! Yes, the winter was very mild,
but we had a couple of nights of -8 Celcius.

Also Escholtzia has - I thought that was supposed to be an annual,
and it certainly gre as one in California, but it is beginning to
look awfully perennial with me. Can anyone clarify that?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The Ipomea indica is certainly a perennial in milder areas or concrete
jungles (London). You have sandy soil? which certainly helps in
overwintering many so called tender plants.I guess the term "tender
perennial" is going to be used on an increasing basis.

Old 21-05-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| The Ipomea indica is certainly a perennial in milder areas or concrete
| jungles (London). You have sandy soil? which certainly helps in
| overwintering many so called tender plants.I guess the term "tender
| perennial" is going to be used on an increasing basis.

Indeed :-)

Yes, it's sandy, but it was a hellishly wet winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-05-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Well, I have just discovered that one or the other of Ipomoea
indica or purpurea has overwintered in my garden!

I have osteospermum that have survived and rooted all over a bed under
an apple tree. Flowering like mad at the moment as well.
Also Dahlia Merckii now a big clump and getting bigger.

My Eccremocarpus didn't even die back but is now legging it up a holly
tree next to the arch way!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Overwintering Hyacinths Tbumpy Ponds 27 02-10-2003 12:22 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 18-03-2003 03:08 AM
Overwintering plants don't do well? Polar Edible Gardening 0 02-03-2003 03:27 AM
passionflowers & overwintering Janna United Kingdom 4 10-11-2002 07:44 PM