Old 22-05-2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default What Can & Can't I plant near each other?

"Dave" wrote in
hlink.net:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
Johnny wrote in
ups.com:

On May 21, 7:22 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

Are you worried about cross-pollination? Don't. Unless you save
the seeds to plant next year, it won't matter.

Please tell me more about cross-pollination. Sounds interesting.
Thanks,
Johnny

Short answer is that the seed you just planted already contains the
DNA hard-wiring for this year's crop. A pumpkin will just be a
pumpkin no matter what it is planted next to. However, if you plant
it close to another vegetable that can cross-pollinate with it, the
seeds *from the cross-pollination* will no longer be a pumpkin. If
you save and plant them next year, you will get some hybrid
off-spring that probably won't make you too happy.

Here's a thread that goes into some of the aspects of
cross-pollination:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...503129055.html

Supposed I save some seed from this years watermelon crop. Am I gonna
have waterpenos or tomamelons as jalapenos and tomatoes planted either
side of the watermelons? Spicy water melons and rich, acidy melons.
Anything goes with beer, I guess.
Dave

WHOOHOO! And if it doesn't? Pickle it!