Old 20-05-2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What Can & Can't I plant near each other?

I am putting out Watermelon, Squash ( Butternut & Acorn), pumpkin ( small
cooking & large decorative ) and of course cucumbers. I seem to recall my
mother telling me that I should never plant something next to something else
but alas, the little grey cells are not what they used to be...

Any suggestions?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

--
This outgoing email was scanned by
Norton Antivirus Corp. Edition

-----------------
-----------------
Old 20-05-2007, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Ron H" wrote:

I am putting out Watermelon, Squash ( Butternut & Acorn), pumpkin ( small
cooking & large decorative ) and of course cucumbers. I seem to recall my
mother telling me that I should never plant something next to something else
but alas, the little grey cells are not what they used to be...

Any suggestions?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

Google "companion planting".

For a start, you might try
http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/t...bles/vcomp.asp

- Bill

Old 21-05-2007, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ron H" wrote in message
I am putting out Watermelon, Squash ( Butternut & Acorn), pumpkin ( small
cooking & large decorative ) and of course cucumbers. I seem to recall my
mother telling me that I should never plant something next to something
else but alas, the little grey cells are not what they used to be...

Any suggestions?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

--
This outgoing email was scanned by
Norton Antivirus Corp. Edition
and found to be virus free!

-----------------
-----------------

I just pulled up all the spinach in the garden, bagged it, and threw it in
the freezer. In its place, I put watermelon. Location is between tomatoes
and jalapeno peppers. Gimme a chart for this combo.
Dave

Old 21-05-2007, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ron H" wrote in
:

I am putting out Watermelon, Squash ( Butternut & Acorn), pumpkin (
small cooking & large decorative ) and of course cucumbers. I seem to
recall my mother telling me that I should never plant something next
to something else but alas, the little grey cells are not what they
used to be...

Any suggestions?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

Are you worried about cross-pollination? Don't. Unless you save the seeds
to plant next year, it won't matter.
Old 21-05-2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 21, 7:22 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

Are you worried about cross-pollination? Don't. Unless you save the seeds
to plant next year, it won't matter.

Please tell me more about cross-pollination. Sounds interesting.
Thanks,
Johnny

Old 21-05-2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Johnny wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

Are you worried about cross-pollination? Don't. Unless you save the
seeds to plant next year, it won't matter.

Please tell me more about cross-pollination. Sounds interesting.
Thanks,
Johnny

Short answer is that the seed you just planted already contains the DNA
hard-wiring for this year's crop. A pumpkin will just be a pumpkin no
matter what it is planted next to. However, if you plant it close to
another vegetable that can cross-pollinate with it, the seeds *from the
cross-pollination* will no longer be a pumpkin. If you save and plant
them next year, you will get some hybrid off-spring that probably won't
make you too happy.

Here's a thread that goes into some of the aspects of cross-pollination:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...503129055.html
Old 21-05-2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
Johnny wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

Are you worried about cross-pollination? Don't. Unless you save the
seeds to plant next year, it won't matter.

Please tell me more about cross-pollination. Sounds interesting.
Thanks,
Johnny

Short answer is that the seed you just planted already contains the DNA
hard-wiring for this year's crop. A pumpkin will just be a pumpkin no
matter what it is planted next to. However, if you plant it close to
another vegetable that can cross-pollinate with it, the seeds *from the
cross-pollination* will no longer be a pumpkin. If you save and plant
them next year, you will get some hybrid off-spring that probably won't
make you too happy.

Here's a thread that goes into some of the aspects of cross-pollination:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...503129055.html

Supposed I save some seed from this years watermelon crop. Am I gonna have
waterpenos or tomamelons as jalapenos and tomatoes planted either side of
the watermelons? Spicy water melons and rich, acidy melons. Anything goes
with beer, I guess.
Dave

Old 22-05-2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dave" wrote in
hlink.net:

wrote:

[...]

WHOOHOO! And if it doesn't? Pickle it!
Old 22-05-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

Are you worried about cross-pollination? Don't. Unless you save the seeds
to plant next year, it won't matter.

Please tell me more about cross-pollination. Sounds interesting.
Thanks,
Johnny

You have to be over 18 to talk about "that".

Persephone
Old 22-05-2007, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote in message

You have to be over 18 to talk about "that".

HA!