Old 21-05-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Johnny Johnny is offline

Default Need fertilizing help

On May 21, 12:11 am, svu geek wrote:
This year I will be growing tomatoes in large pots and I plan on using
potting soil for this. Should I add a fertilizer to the soil when I
plant them? If so, which of these is best: humus & manure, bone meal,
lime? These are the only fertlizers that are available around here
(other than Miracle Gro) so please don't suggest something not listed
as I won't be able to get it.

Last year I had a problem with BER near the end of the season. I also
wasn't able to get as many tomatoes as I should've and it took
forever. I know the weather was partly responsible (tons of rain in
June; HOT, dry weather in July and August) and I was never able to
figure out when the plants needed water. I also think the fertilizer I
was using (Miracle Gro) had to much nitrogen.

If you have a Lesco in your area, they sell organic granulated turkey
litter under the brand name of Sustane. It is widely used in golf
courses and its use has been great in my raised gardens. www.raised-garden-bed.com/
Johnny