Old 22-05-2007, 12:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default Finally stocked our 1 acre pond

==============================
But they have nothing to make them feel safe! They hide in plants to feel
secure. Please add something they can use for refuge from water birds.

Good point. We are taking some steps to help there.

We have made the sides steep to make it harder for the predators to
get into the pond.

We also have four holes that run 4-5 feet below the bottom of the
pond. Bass holes, but anyone can shelter there.

The dock will also be shelter for them.

I am in the process of making a set of corrugated pipe shelters and
some pvc trees. The 6" corrugated is cut onto 15" pieces, grouped
together and held down by rocks or a cement piece. They hide in
them. That makes fishing better when they are big because you know
where big brim will be.

The 'trees' of pvc provide shelter for fish and do not grab hooks as
real trees do...and they last.

A friend of mine has offered som cement piping at 12-18 inch
diameter. I want to wait to place those until the water is deeper. I
don't want the 15" pipe to be a predator stand!

I appreciate your concern for the fish.

Jim