Old 18-05-2007, 06:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Finally stocked our 1 acre pond

We stocked our new pond today. Bass, brim and fathead minnows. As a
result of the drought, the water is over 2' below full, with 4' left
in the pond. We would like some rain before the fall!

URL for pics:

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...a67082dd0cafee

Jim

Old 20-05-2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 17 May 2007 23:03:51 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

We stocked our new pond today. Bass, brim and fathead minnows. As a
result of the drought, the water is over 2' below full, with 4' left
in the pond. We would like some rain before the fall!

URL for pics:

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...a67082dd0cafee

Jim

Great pictures Jim! ~ janj
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-05-2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks, Jan.

It was fun to set the fish free. They took a while to disperse. The
wildlife people say the muddy start is good for the new fish. They
are harder for the predators to see..

Out here in MS, ponds start muddy and without plants...makes senes,
eh...a mudhole. I watch with interest to see what will happen as
plants get into it. The wildlife folks recommend NOT stocking any
plants, but letting the birds bring them. In the end, they say, grass
carp are helpful to restrict the density of plants.

Our neighborhood pond took several years to clear, in part from the
colloidal suspension of the initial dirt. It had to flush through
before the water could clear. Our pond should see about a 3/4 change
of water each year, even in dry years. In wetter years, it is
expected to see a 150% of volume addition of water. We are not going
to try to settle the mud... We will see how it goes.

Jim

Old 21-05-2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 20 May 2007 16:13:12 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

expected to see a 150% of volume addition of water. We are not going
to try to settle the mud... We will see how it goes.
Jim

I sure, especially in a large pond, if you start messing with the natural
chemistry you'll always be messing with the chemistry. I'd be hard pressed
not to add plants I like.... sometimes the birds don't always get it right
to *my* liking. In the long run though, that is the less work route.
;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 21-05-2007, 10:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, Jan.

It was fun to set the fish free. They took a while to disperse. The
wildlife people say the muddy start is good for the new fish. They
are harder for the predators to see..

==============================
But they have nothing to make them feel safe! They hide in plants to feel
secure. Please add something they can use for refuge from water birds.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-05-2007, 12:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

==============================
But they have nothing to make them feel safe! They hide in plants to feel
secure. Please add something they can use for refuge from water birds.

Good point. We are taking some steps to help there.

We have made the sides steep to make it harder for the predators to
get into the pond.

We also have four holes that run 4-5 feet below the bottom of the
pond. Bass holes, but anyone can shelter there.

The dock will also be shelter for them.

I am in the process of making a set of corrugated pipe shelters and
some pvc trees. The 6" corrugated is cut onto 15" pieces, grouped
together and held down by rocks or a cement piece. They hide in
them. That makes fishing better when they are big because you know
where big brim will be.

The 'trees' of pvc provide shelter for fish and do not grab hooks as
real trees do...and they last.

A friend of mine has offered som cement piping at 12-18 inch
diameter. I want to wait to place those until the water is deeper. I
don't want the 15" pipe to be a predator stand!

I appreciate your concern for the fish.

Jim

Old 22-05-2007, 12:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

As harsh as it is, predators will keep the fish
population down. Very important in a natural pond.
Only if you can get into the pond and reduce the
population by hand should you keep all predators
away. I have seen big mud ponds reduced that way
with large nets and several strong people walking the
pond and dragging the nets.

k :-)

Old 22-05-2007, 05:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
ps.com...
As harsh as it is, predators will keep the fish
population down. Very important in a natural pond.
Only if you can get into the pond and reduce the
population by hand should you keep all predators
away. I have seen big mud ponds reduced that way
with large nets and several strong people walking the
pond and dragging the nets.

=============================
Since they'll be fishing their pond, the fish reproducing may be a good
thing. I was thinking to reducing stress and fear for the fish. To make
them more comfortable before they end up dinner. ;-)
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-05-2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Yep! The bass eat the brim and fathead minnows. The fatheads will be
gone in a couple of years. The brim reproduce several times annually,
providing lots of bass food. The bass keep the brim from
overpopulating. We wiull add some red ear brim in the fall (another
predator). The balance of brim and bass is crucial for the health of
the pond.

Jim

Old 22-05-2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 21 May 2007 22:50:54 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
As harsh as it is, predators will keep the fish
population down. Very important in a natural pond.
Only if you can get into the pond and reduce the
population by hand should you keep all predators
away. I have seen big mud ponds reduced that way
with large nets and several strong people walking the
pond and dragging the nets.

=============================
Since they'll be fishing their pond, the fish reproducing may be a good
thing. I was thinking to reducing stress and fear for the fish. To make
them more comfortable before they end up dinner. ;-)

Bream (or brim, depending on what part of the U.S. you're in)
reproduce so well and quickly that they'll grow right up to the food
supply. This results in the whole pond being full of stunted fish. It
sounds strange, but a bass or northern pike put or five put in with
them will make for larger and healthier bream / brim. Admittedly
it'll mean there'll be less of them, but they'll be more of a size
you'll want to eat.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Old 22-05-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This results in the whole pond being full of stunted fish. It
sounds strange, but a bass or northern pike put or five put in with
them will make for larger and healthier bream / brim. Admittedly
it'll mean there'll be less of them, but they'll be more of a size
you'll want to eat.

Absolutely! We put 100 bass in with 400 brim/bream. We did not add
catfish, but lots of folk down here do. They help limit the
population as well. Down here a key is to get big enough bass
andenough of them so that we don't get a lot of brim that are medium
sized,but too big for the bass. A rule down here is 'Never throw a
brim back in the pond.'

Jim

Rate This Thread: