Old 22-05-2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Garlic Mustard Invasive Weed

Molly expounded:

For those in the Northerly and Easterly areas of this Country, who
have shade, with disturbed soil, Garlic Mustard is a real threat to
your garden or woodlot. A good description of this plant is he
http://ipaw.org/invaders/garlic_mustard/gm.htm, offered by the
Invasive Plant Association of Wisconsin.
Once it starts, it is extremely difficult to control. It takes over an
area fast, smothering native plants. hedgerows, or garden beds, and it
takes years to eradicate.
The little 4 petaled white flowers look cute, and you think that,
good, I got a free plant here. Just beware.
Molly
Zone 5a
A very infrequent poster to Rec.gardens

The way it reseeds is absolutely incredible. I've got a small
invasion going on in my side yard, they were behind a pile and I
didn't notice them. Thousands per square foot! They're tiny little
buggers, too, when they first get going. I'm going to keep pulling
and stop it from spreading, hopefully I'll be able to get it under
control. Wish me luck!

Oh, and then I can start on the damned bishop's weed my wonderful
neighbor planted in her yard - right next to my property
line....grrrrrrrr!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts