Old 22-05-2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Cyli Cyli is offline

Default Finally stocked our 1 acre pond

On Mon, 21 May 2007 22:50:54 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
As harsh as it is, predators will keep the fish
population down. Very important in a natural pond.
Only if you can get into the pond and reduce the
population by hand should you keep all predators
away. I have seen big mud ponds reduced that way
with large nets and several strong people walking the
pond and dragging the nets.

=============================
Since they'll be fishing their pond, the fish reproducing may be a good
thing. I was thinking to reducing stress and fear for the fish. To make
them more comfortable before they end up dinner. ;-)

Bream (or brim, depending on what part of the U.S. you're in)
reproduce so well and quickly that they'll grow right up to the food
supply. This results in the whole pond being full of stunted fish. It
sounds strange, but a bass or northern pike put or five put in with
them will make for larger and healthier bream / brim. Admittedly
it'll mean there'll be less of them, but they'll be more of a size
you'll want to eat.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli