Old 22-05-2007, 08:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Peter Breed Peter Breed is offline

Default Pond Pland Fertiliser

~ jan wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2007 01:56:38 CST, Altum wrote:

Iron/mangnese shortage is hard to miss. The plants get chlorotic with
pale or yellow tissue between green veins. I'm still learning to grow
lilies myself so I hope someone else can help more with the troubleshooting.

What a lot of ponders/gardeners miss, is that one can add all the iron, but
if the pH is too high for that plant to take it up, it won't help.

I usually ask people what their pond pH is before suggesting adding liquid
fertilizers. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Intresting - there does seem to an issue with stability of some of the
chelating agents (or more specifically the complexes) depending on pH.
My pH has always been high though I can't be more specific at the moment
as my new pH meter is in the post. I would say that while my irises have
always grown very well they do seem slightly on the pale side.
Having tried to address my high pH in the past I had decided to go with
the theory that if the fish are happy don't mess around with the
chemistry too much. When that pH meter arrives I think some bucket
experiments are in order.

Peter
Leicestershire,
England