Old 24-05-2007, 03:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Capt. Courageous Capt. Courageous is offline

Default Are these carpenter bees?

If you live in a Condo you should cqall the maintenance people whether these
are carpoenter bees or not. If you have regular honey bees in your walls
they can do more damage than carpenter bees. Trust me - I have seen a
honeycomb pulled out of a wall before that was 3 feet long.

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message
Noticed a couple of these bees hovering near (and then crawling
underneath) the
diagonal fascia board (or wood trim) at gable side of building near roof
line. Directed some wasp and hornet bug spray underneath the diagonal
piece of wood, but a couple days later these bees were still active there.
It does look like some sawdust-like debris is present near the
ground...actually noticed the sawdust-like debris last year but didn't
notice happen to notice the bees back then. Are the bees in the photos
carpenter bees, and should I contact the condo association?

Here are a link to 3 photos:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bee1.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bee2.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bee3.jpg

These bees were near the back of building.

In addition (in a completely different area of same side of building)
there
are also some ordinary bees nests (such as wasps nests) underneath the
diagonal fascia board near, but near the front of the same side of
building.
(The building is around 40 feet long from front to back) Do I need to be
concerned about the ordinary bees nests if there is no activity seen?
Right
now I'm more concerned about whether or not the bees in the photos are
carpenter bees. What do you think?

Thanks,

J.