Old 24-05-2007, 02:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Are these carpenter bees?

Noticed a couple of these bees hovering near (and then crawling underneath)
the
diagonal fascia board (or wood trim) at gable side of building near roof
line. Directed some wasp and hornet bug spray underneath the diagonal
piece of wood, but a couple days later these bees were still active there.
It does look like some sawdust-like debris is present near the
ground...actually noticed the sawdust-like debris last year but didn't
notice happen to notice the bees back then. Are the bees in the photos
carpenter bees, and should I contact the condo association?

Here are a link to 3 photos:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bee1.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bee2.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bee3.jpg

These bees were near the back of building.

In addition (in a completely different area of same side of building) there
are also some ordinary bees nests (such as wasps nests) underneath the
diagonal fascia board near, but near the front of the same side of building.
(The building is around 40 feet long from front to back) Do I need to be
concerned about the ordinary bees nests if there is no activity seen? Right
now I'm more concerned about whether or not the bees in the photos are
carpenter bees. What do you think?

Thanks,

J.

Old 24-05-2007, 03:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

If you live in a Condo you should cqall the maintenance people whether these
are carpoenter bees or not. If you have regular honey bees in your walls
they can do more damage than carpenter bees. Trust me - I have seen a
honeycomb pulled out of a wall before that was 3 feet long.

Old 24-05-2007, 04:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Capt. Courageous" wrote:
If you have regular honey bees

Try not to kill them if you can.

Sometimes you have to though.
Old 25-05-2007, 01:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message
[...]

Yes they are. And they'll bore holes into wood to lay eggs. They
can also use most any enclosed area to nest in. I had a group build
a nest in the three inch gap between the floor of a dog house and the
ground. After we turned over the dog house (and ran like crazy) the
air became literally black with carpenter bees.

Old 25-05-2007, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 24, 7:05 pm, "Kevin" wrote:

Yes they are. And they'll bore holes into wood to lay eggs.

Agreed, Pictures are typical of carpenter bees.

They can also use most any enclosed area to nest in.
I had a group build
a nest in the three inch gap between the floor of a dog house and the
ground. After we turned over the dog house (and ran like crazy) the
air became literally black with carpenter bees.-

Disagree. Carpenter bees are solitary except for the male hanging
around at breeding time. They have one female to a nest.

What you describe are bumble bees, which live in colonies. They look
very much alike at a glance. The difference is the carpenter bee is
about half yellow and half black where the bumble bee is predominantly
black with a much smaller amount of white/yellow.

Red

Old 28-05-2007, 02:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Red said:

[...]

The difference is the carpenter bee is
about half yellow and half black where the bumble bee is predominantly
black with a much smaller amount of white/yellow.

Horsehockey. Color has nothing to do with it. There are five species of
carpenter bees in the US, and they vary in color schemes by species, as
well as by sex. A carpenter bee has a shiny abdomen. A bumble bee's is
covered in hair.

Stubby?

--

Eggs

Do Amish people get one phone call when arrested?

Old 29-05-2007, 03:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 27, 8:58 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Red said:

[...]

The difference is the carpenter bee is
about half yellow and half black where the bumble bee is predominantly
black with a much smaller amount of white/yellow.

Horsehockey. Color has nothing to do with it. There are five species of
carpenter bees in the US, and they vary in color schemes by species, as
well as by sex. A carpenter bee has a shiny abdomen. A bumble bee's is
covered in hair.

Then tell the entomoligist his web site is showing wrong color.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef611.asp

Old 29-05-2007, 05:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Lar Lar is offline

Red wrote:
On May 27, 8:58 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Red said:

[...]

The difference is the carpenter bee is
about half yellow and half black where the bumble bee is predominantly
black with a much smaller amount of white/yellow.

Horsehockey. Color has nothing to do with it. There are five species of
carpenter bees in the US, and they vary in color schemes by species, as
well as by sex. A carpenter bee has a shiny abdomen. A bumble bee's is
covered in hair.

Then tell the entomoligist his web site is showing wrong color.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef611.asp

The site is just showing a species of carpenter bee that happens to have
more yellow than some other species. The key is the abdomen being hairless.

Lar
Old 29-05-2007, 11:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Red said:

On May 27, 8:58 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Red said:

[...]

The difference is the carpenter bee is
about half yellow and half black where the bumble bee is predominantly
black with a much smaller amount of white/yellow.

Horsehockey. Color has nothing to do with it. There are five species of
carpenter bees in the US, and they vary in color schemes by species, as
well as by sex. A carpenter bee has a shiny abdomen. A bumble bee's is
covered in hair.

Then tell the entomoligist his web site is showing wrong color.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef611.asp

Do you read, or just look at pictures? From /your/ reference, second
paragraph:

"Carpenter bees resemble bumble bees, but the upper surface of their
abdomen is bare and shiny black; bumble bees have a hairy abdomen with at
least some yellow markings."

--

Eggs

I went to San Francisco. I found someone's heart.

Carpenter bees ??? HELP !! John W Lawns 7 19-10-2008 03:23 PM
treatment for carpenter bees Jay-n-123 Lawns 0 30-05-2007 08:24 PM
Carpenter bees Raleighgirl North Carolina 13 24-06-2005 06:30 PM
Carpenter bees Gardening 2 18-05-2004 07:03 AM
Carpenter Bees Rachel Gardening 0 13-05-2004 05:03 AM