Old 29-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Pam

Default Rocky Mt juniper question

Okay - here ya go - read up:
http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/junsco/
http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conif...scopulorum.htm
http://www.csu.org/cgi-bin/xeri/Xeri...detail?PIS-jss
http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/00000807.html
http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/shrub/jusc2.htm
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/JUNSCOA.pdf

and there are about 5000 more sites available. You may notice that none
address planting specifically. That is because instructions for planting
this tree/shrub are the same as for any other - dig a hole, place in plant
(green side up!) and water well to get established.

Junipers, including this one and its assorted several dozen cultivars, are
as common as dirt and don't require any specific care other than a full sun
location and watering to get established (at least two years). Once
established, they are drought tolerant, but so are a good many other, more
desireable plants commonly sold at any nursery.

pam - gardengal

January85 wrote:

| Hold on - no need to get futzy.

I wasn't getting 'futzy" - I asked a question and got a trollish answer.

| 1) Why do you think you want to plant Rocky Mt junipers if you know
| nothing about them?

Becasue I like the way they look and I know they thrive in the general
area in which I want to plant them.

| 2) There are dozens of cultivars of this plant - any one in specific?

Tha'ts why I'm asking.

| 3) Have you done any investigation on the adviseability of this plant
| for your situation other than asking here? Done any research? A search
| on google?

They grow naturally around here.

| 4) Any reason you think planting these plants would be any different
| from planting anything else?

Yes, we are in a drought and common sense argues against planting the
usual stuff stocked in landscape nurseries.

| The more specific you are in your request, the better the responses
will
| be.

I'll repeat the initial post: I have a yard to landscape and I would
like to put in some Rocky MT juniper trees. Anybody know anything about
these trees, and the best way to plant them?

xx