Old 24-05-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pete[_4_] Pete[_4_] is offline

Default How much water?

I have to admit first off that I'm not a gardener, and unfortunately
don't have much interest, but this situation does concern me a bit,
so I thought I'd ask here.

I live in a 5-apartment building in the Bay Area which has quite a nice
garden. Though the owner has little interest in maintaining it, a woman
in another apartment likes to turn the hose on.

However, her scheme is to put the hose end at the base of a bush or tree,
and let it run for 24 hours or so... Afte I've heard it running that
long, *I* usually go and turn it off.

Yesterday I put a measuring cup under the running water, and got a pint
in about 15 seconds. This works out to over 700 gallons in the time
it was on (or ~4 cu.ft./hr if you prefer, which -- depending on how far
the water spreads -- sounds like about a foot of rain per hour!).

Am I right in thinking this is way too much, or are my assumptions wrong
somewhere? My personal interest -- aside from the fact that we're low
on water in California this year -- is the lovely lemon tree that I'd
hate to see damaged.

Answers appreciated.
-- Pete --

The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
(If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)