Old 24-05-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How much water?

I have to admit first off that I'm not a gardener, and unfortunately
don't have much interest, but this situation does concern me a bit,
so I thought I'd ask here.

I live in a 5-apartment building in the Bay Area which has quite a nice
garden. Though the owner has little interest in maintaining it, a woman
in another apartment likes to turn the hose on.

However, her scheme is to put the hose end at the base of a bush or tree,
and let it run for 24 hours or so... Afte I've heard it running that
long, *I* usually go and turn it off.

Yesterday I put a measuring cup under the running water, and got a pint
in about 15 seconds. This works out to over 700 gallons in the time
it was on (or ~4 cu.ft./hr if you prefer, which -- depending on how far
the water spreads -- sounds like about a foot of rain per hour!).

Am I right in thinking this is way too much, or are my assumptions wrong
somewhere? My personal interest -- aside from the fact that we're low
on water in California this year -- is the lovely lemon tree that I'd
hate to see damaged.

Answers appreciated.
-- Pete --

The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
(If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)
Old 24-05-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

Without knowing what types and sizes of plants she's watering, it's hard to
say. That alone is enough to say that in general, her plan is a bad one and
she should stop. Would it be correct to guess that the women is 4000 years
old?

Old 27-05-2007, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Pete" wrote in message
I live in a 5-apartment building in the Bay Area which has quite a nice
garden. Though the owner has little interest in maintaining it, a woman
in another apartment likes to turn the hose on.

However, her scheme is to put the hose end at the base of a bush or tree,
and let it run for 24 hours or so... Afte I've heard it running that
long, *I* usually go and turn it off.

Yesterday I put a measuring cup under the running water, and got a pint
in about 15 seconds. [....]

Am I right in thinking this is way too much, or are my assumptions wrong
somewhere?

Without knowing what types and sizes of plants she's watering, it's hard to
say.

Mostly some rose bushes about 4ft high, and a 5ft Meyer lemon tree.
That alone is enough to say that in general, her plan is a bad one and
she should stop. Would it be correct to guess that the women is 4000 years
old?

Thanks. That's what I thought.
She's not quite that ancient, but let's just say I wouldn't want to
date her... (:-/) [And she's one of those "greens" who doesn't really
uderstand what being green means, and doesn't care as long as she can
complain about something... Which of course means she's actually unlikely
to listen to any expert advice!]

I just went and turned off the hose *again*, after putting my hand on
the ground a few feet away and finding it not just wet, but waterlogged.

Old 27-05-2007, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(Pete) wrote:

In article ,
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

http://home.earthlink.net/~jchristensen/tips.html

WATERING ROSES-- If you live in an area where irrigation is necessary,
here is the general information you need regarding watering. Keep the
ground around your roses damp, but not soggy. That may require
irrigating 2-4 times per week during hot or windy weather in some
climates. Consider using a "weeping hose" on a time clock -- it's easy
to install, promotes optimal watering levels, and often saves money on
water bills. Remember to mulch your plants; this also conserves moisture
and reduces both work and expense. Watering roses, especially the
foliage, in early morning hours reduces diseases (with the major
exception of black spot). But never sprinkle rose foliage in the
afternoon or evening, since this promotes diseases and ruins your
enjoyment of roses.

http://www.ehow.com/how_3638_grow-lemon-trees.html

Water (Meyer Lemons) deeply once every 7 to 10 days in midsummer (newly
planted trees may need more frequent watering until established). Water
less often if it rains or if the weather is cool.

- Bill
Old 27-05-2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pete" wrote in message
In article ,
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Pete" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

How about asking the building owner if he finds it enjoyable to spend less
money on things, like his water bill? Maybe he'll suggest taking the knob
off the faucet, or shutting it off inside.

Old 27-05-2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

She's not quite that ancient, but let's just say I wouldn't want to
date her... (:-/)

[...]

Honest question: Does "date" invariably mean f**k?

(O tempora , O mores!)

What we have here is a failure to communicate. In the name of a common
cause let us clear the air.

WOMEN'SENGLISH

1. Yes = No
2. No = Yes
3. Maybe = No
4. We need = I want
5. I am sorry = you'll be sorry
6. We need to talk = you're in trouble
7. Sure, go ahead = you better not
8. Do what you want = you will pay for this later
9. I am not upset = of course I am upset, you moron!
10. You're very attentive tonight = is sex all you ever think about?

MEN'SENGLISH

1. I am hungry= I am hungry
2. I am sleepy = I am sleepy
3. I am tired = I am tired
4. Nice dress = Nice cleavage!
5. I love you = let's have sex now
6. I am bored = Do you want to have sex?
7. May I have this dance? = I'd like to have sex with you
8. Can I call you sometime? = I'd like to have sex with you
9. Do you want to go to a movie? = I'd like to have sex with you
10. Can I take you out to dinner? = I'd like to have sex with you
11. Those shoes don't go with that outfit = I'm gay

Sorry, couldn't help myself,

- Bill
Old 27-05-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill Rose wrote in news:rosefam-CBB1D6.12370027052007
@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

Oh, you'll have to be punished for that, Mister!

Punished = you'll enjoy it, too
Old 27-05-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Oh no, not a spanking. ;-)

- Bill
Old 28-05-2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

Somewhere on this mess of a computer, I have an interesting essay (from some
magazine) about what women really mean when they say "Fine!" If I find it,
I'll post it with the subject line "OT - Silent Treatment"

Old 28-05-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article , Persephone

[...]