Old 25-05-2007, 01:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Are these carpenter bees?

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message
Noticed a couple of these bees hovering near (and then crawling
underneath) the
diagonal fascia board (or wood trim) at gable side of building near roof
line. Directed some wasp and hornet bug spray underneath the diagonal
piece of wood, but a couple days later these bees were still active there.
It does look like some sawdust-like debris is present near the
ground...actually noticed the sawdust-like debris last year but didn't
notice happen to notice the bees back then. Are the bees in the photos
carpenter bees, and should I contact the condo association?

Here are a link to 3 photos:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bee1.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bee2.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bee3.jpg

These bees were near the back of building.

In addition (in a completely different area of same side of building)
there
are also some ordinary bees nests (such as wasps nests) underneath the
diagonal fascia board near, but near the front of the same side of
building.
(The building is around 40 feet long from front to back) Do I need to be
concerned about the ordinary bees nests if there is no activity seen?
Right
now I'm more concerned about whether or not the bees in the photos are
carpenter bees. What do you think?

Thanks,

J.

Yes they are. And they'll bore holes into wood to lay eggs. They
can also use most any enclosed area to nest in. I had a group build
a nest in the three inch gap between the floor of a dog house and the
ground. After we turned over the dog house (and ran like crazy) the
air became literally black with carpenter bees.