Old 25-05-2007, 01:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Grass is seeding and watering question

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Most grasses spread from roots not seed. After 30 days, you have
'new' grass. Fertilize and cut for weedless-ness and growth.

Geez, I really didn't want to start discussing what was clearly a non-pond
related question, but I think you're wrong :-)

Most "turf grass" - the stuff people really want on their lawns - propagates
that way, but "annual" grasses propagate by seed. aiui, without
painstaking care, most lawns end up replaced by annual grasses in the end
anyway (and the fact that this lawn is already showing seed heads suggests
that's what they have).

Most of those people treating their lawns for cinch bugs in august, because
everything turned yellow, don't have cinch bugs, they just have annual
grass that _always_ dies in mid-summer.

If you want a nice lawn (yuck!) you need to cut it before you see seed heads
(but as late as possible before that).
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated