Old 25-05-2007, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default How do I kill these *******s?

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/temp/buggy.jpg

The scale insects, I mean, not the Euonymus. I already know how to kill
the
Euonymus-- leave the scale insects alone.

I've had a lot of success getting rid of scale with neem oil. If you live
where you are getting full hot sun during the day spray it in the late
afternoon or early evening. I toasted some Vince with a bad infestation of
white fly by soaking it down with neem oil in the early morning of what
turned out to be a hot sunny day. I cut it back and it did come
back......the white flies didn't however. I've used neem oil on both
outdoor plants that had scale and on an indoor ficus tree that developed the
nasty critters. Successfully got rid of all of them......the scale critters,
not the plants.

I had nasturtiums last year that were covered with aphids and it only took
one good soaking spray of the neem oil and the aphids were gone and never
came back either. You can find this stuff pretty much anywhere they sell
organic pest control. I use a product called Bio-Neem, 1Tbs to 2 qrts of
water. I've tried other products that "contained neem oil" but they didn't
work as well if at all. Probably because they were so diluted with who knows
what. Read the labels and follow the directions.

Val