Old 25-05-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default How do I kill these *******s?

On Thu, 24 May 2007 20:36:09 -0500, Darren Garrison
wrote:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/temp/buggy.jpg

The scale insects, I mean, not the Euonymus. I already know how to kill the
Euonymus-- leave the scale insects alone. I had one of these plants once, it
grew from a small potted plant to maybe 10 feet before the same (apparently)
type of scale insects took over and killed it. So the smaller plants I put in a
couple of years ago don't seem to stand a chance, unless I initiate insect
genocide.

Use different plants. When you do the same thing over and over
expecting a different result, you will always be dissatisfied.
Euonymus is famous for scale infestation and I assure you the
continuation of scale will long outlive you or any number of the same
plants you keep planting. Try something native to your area. Odds
are the plant will be superior in habit than any introduced,
non-native.

Old 25-05-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 May 2007 20:03:46 -0500, jangchub wrote:

Use different plants. When you do the same thing over and over
expecting a different result, you will always be dissatisfied.
Euonymus is famous for scale infestation and I assure you the
continuation of scale will long outlive you or any number of the same
plants you keep planting. Try something native to your area. Odds
are the plant will be superior in habit than any introduced,
non-native.

I'm not sure as to the exact species/cultivar name of the Euonymus-- but I
planted three of them as a small child (sub-10 years old, I would think)-- two
of the ones called "yellow tip" and one called "red tip" by the relative that
gave them to me, and what I've always heard them called locally. I tried
googling up more precise names but with ambigious results. "Yellow tip" number
1 lived maybe 15-20 years, and reached about 10 feet before it died. The "red
tip" is still alive and well and around 30-40 feet tall (as are other large "red
tips" in the area. The second "yellow tip" I-- as a child not knowing any
better-- planted too close to the "red tip" so that it was always shaded and
deprived of water and dwarfed. But it lived. And is still alive today 20-25
years after I planted it. Last year, I noticed lots of new "yellow tips"
growing around the "red tip" that apparently grew off of runners from that
original dwarfed "yellow tip". Those offshoots are what I moved to different
parts of the yard and what are having the problems.

Now, the scale IS a big problem, but having the plants live from 15 to 25 years
before developing that problem does not make the plantings an unmitigated
failure as you are implying. If they can survive that long, I don't see why
they can't live another 15 or 25 years if I treat the scale that is attacking
them now. So please, if anyone has any pest control tips that are actually
usefull instead of borderline trolling, I'd love to hear them.

Zone, BTW, is 7 in South Carolina.

Old 25-05-2007, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/temp/buggy.jpg

The scale insects, I mean, not the Euonymus. I already know how to kill
the
Euonymus-- leave the scale insects alone.

I've had a lot of success getting rid of scale with neem oil. If you live
where you are getting full hot sun during the day spray it in the late
afternoon or early evening. I toasted some Vince with a bad infestation of
white fly by soaking it down with neem oil in the early morning of what
turned out to be a hot sunny day. I cut it back and it did come
back......the white flies didn't however. I've used neem oil on both
outdoor plants that had scale and on an indoor ficus tree that developed the
nasty critters. Successfully got rid of all of them......the scale critters,
not the plants.

I had nasturtiums last year that were covered with aphids and it only took
one good soaking spray of the neem oil and the aphids were gone and never
came back either. You can find this stuff pretty much anywhere they sell
organic pest control. I use a product called Bio-Neem, 1Tbs to 2 qrts of
water. I've tried other products that "contained neem oil" but they didn't
work as well if at all. Probably because they were so diluted with who knows
what. Read the labels and follow the directions.

Val

Old 25-05-2007, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 24, 9:36 pm, Darren Garrison wrote:
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/temp/buggy.jpg

The scale insects, I mean, not the Euonymus. I already know how to kill the
Euonymus-- leave the scale insects alone. I had one of these plants once, it
grew from a small potted plant to maybe 10 feet before the same (apparently)
type of scale insects took over and killed it. So the smaller plants I put in a
couple of years ago don't seem to stand a chance, unless I initiate insect
genocide.

I used a systemic on my potted gardenia to get rid of scale.
Insecticides and mitacides had no effect. Dosed the plant outdooors,
where I keep it in warm months, and scale never came back.
Frank

Old 25-05-2007, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 May 2007 22:17:02 -0500, Darren Garrison
wrote:

[...]

I gave you accurate, concise information. Take it or leave it. Like
I said, if you keep asking often enough you will eventually hear what
you want to hear and you are wasting time...your's, and ultimately
worse, mine.

Learn the definition of troll. I do not fit that category.
Old 25-05-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/temp/buggy.jpg

The scale insects, I mean, not the Euonymus. I already know how to kill the
Euonymus-- leave the scale insects alone. I had one of these plants once, it
grew from a small potted plant to maybe 10 feet before the same (apparently)
type of scale insects took over and killed it. So the smaller plants I put in a
couple of years ago don't seem to stand a chance, unless I initiate insect
genocide.

A systemic insecticide will eradicate the scale, very effective.
Before you buy read the label! For smaller infestations (such as
with house plants) you can scrape off the scale with your fingernail.
Old 25-05-2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 25 May 2007 08:34:22 -0500, jangchub wrote:

I gave you accurate, concise information. Take it or leave it. Like
I said, if you keep asking often enough you will eventually hear what
you want to hear and you are wasting time...your's, and ultimately
worse, mine.

Learn the definition of troll. I do not fit that category.

Concise, I'll give you. Given that the plants have lived for many years before
having the problems, though, I do not find your information of "hopeless quest,
doomed failure, stupid for trying, give up now" to be either accurate or
helpful.

Old 25-05-2007, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Oh, and thanks to those with the tips on the Neem oil and systemic-- I'll look
for both at a garden center today.

Old 26-05-2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

This is what I wrote, exactly:

On Thu, 24 May 2007 20:03:46 -0500, jangchub wrote:

Use different plants. When you do the same thing over and over
expecting a different result, you will always be dissatisfied.
Euonymus is famous for scale infestation and I assure you the
continuation of scale will long outlive you or any number of the same
plants you keep planting. Try something native to your area. Odds
are the plant will be superior in habit than any introduced,
non-native.

Where in my original post did I mention:

"...hopeless quest, doomed failure, stupid for trying, give up now" to
be either accurate or helpful."

So, what you did was take what I told you and turned it into something
I never said. I just wasted precious time. Precious time. Do
whatever you want. Eventually you'll get the answer you want to hear.

[IMG] code is On

What are these plants, and how do I not kill them! Stuart101 Gardening 0 31-12-2009 12:31 PM
Chemlawn bastards zxcvbob Gardening 25 30-07-2007 10:35 PM
Chemlawn bastards zxcvbob Edible Gardening 23 30-07-2007 08:22 PM
How much emyacin to kill slime algae? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:08 AM
Hi, saw these thought Some Folks here might find them Usefull in these dry times (url) Root Watering Christopher Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM